The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mark V, Axe FX II, Two notes, Kemper for Recording album. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 29th June 2011
Here for the gear

Mark V, Axe FX II, Two notes, Kemper for Recording album.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for advice on which piece of gear to get that would give me nice Heavy Rhythm tone plus great lead tone.

Right now I use a JSX with a 4x12 cab to two 57's. I will sell this head as it's not completely satisfying my needs.

I'm currently writing my second instrumental guitar record.

This one is sounding more dark and heavy and theatrical then my previous, so I've come to a few choices:

Mark V, Axe fx II, Two Notes Torpedo, Kemper Profiling Amp.

I have played the Mark V and it is simply amazing.

I've heard great things about the Axe but some say it does not cut it for album recording. It would be great for late night recordings though.

I will be recording guitars at my home studio, which does not have much room.

As for the others, I hope you can shed some light on those.

Also I will be ideally recording my own tone plus direct clean if the mixing engineering so chooses to use a different tone.

Thank you in advance.

T
Old 29th June 2011
The Axe FX has a lot of haters on GS...

That being said, I am not one of them. It simply sounds amazing if you know how to use it. The Axe II uses some of the RedWirez IR's for cabs so that's icing on the cake. Those things really, really help with direct recording.

If you slave it into the FX loop IN or into a tube power amp and a 4x12 (bypassing the cab sim obviously), you have a beast of a tone as well. Much thicker than most Engl/Framus/5150/Soldano amps I've played and recorded, simply because you can tweak every single thing about the tone.

If you know how to dial in good tone, you'll love the Axe FX. If you don't know the mechanics of what makes amps sound good tracked, you'll be stressed out and under-impressed.
Old 29th June 2011
Here for the gear

Yes, I was thinking that same route. I can get a nice power amp and and run the Axe through that to some mics.

Is it feasible for live gigs? With the foot switch and all?
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

I'm still waiting on info and sound examples from the kemper profiling amp.

But also looking into getting a Randall ISO cab for late night.
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogexplosions View Post
If you know how to dial in good tone, you'll love the Axe FX. If you don't know the mechanics of what makes amps sound good tracked, you'll be stressed out and under-impressed.
What sorts of things are you referring to, specifically. Thanks.
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

You may want to also consider recording a tap (direct sound, no cabinet or micing) from between the power amp and the speaker (or load) using a Suhr Iso line Out or equivalent. That will be optimum for using either the hardware or plug in version Torpedo for re micing different cabinets in the post tracking and pre mixing stages with the producer. Advantages are a) not splitting the signal or adding active electronics at guitar level and b) doing the a/d with a far less sensitive audio level and impedance.

We do offer an evaluation period on the Torpedo hardware and of course, for the plug in, there's the 4x12/sm-57 free version or the 15 day full version demo available.

Andy Welcome to Diffusion-Audio.com
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Some Mesa + Torpedo hot right out of the oven!!!

Andy
Old 30th June 2011
Here for the gear

Not bad. Any lead tone examples?
Old 30th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
What sorts of things are you referring to, specifically. Thanks.
Basically how to dial in a tone based on what the mix is hearing and what is good for the mix of the song, as opposed to dialing it in for how you'd play live. For example: more mids, less highs, less gain, pushing the poweramp and speakers to get them working hard without getting all sizzly, etc.

Most of us have that experience and understand these concepts, but some don't, and they seem to be the ones recording all the demo clips!!
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Guru

I just tried the Torpedo plugin (full demo) and I thought it wasn't that good. I've been using the Redwires impulses and they blow away the Torpedo by a huge margin. Not even in the ballpark. And that Torpedo plugin is 300 bucks, which can't even do stereo it looks like and more importantly you can't load up more than one mic impulse and mix them, which is a big oversight. It would be cheaper and way better just to get the Redwirez Big Box library and that iface convolver plugin.
Old 29th July 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Animus, Hi all,

no problem if you don't like the sound of the demo 1 cab + 1 mic but I don't really get this :

Quote:
which can't even do stereo it looks like and more importantly you can't load up more than one mic impulse and mix them, which is a big oversight.
When you record guitar tracks with microphones and cabs, how do you record many tracks and do the mix ? Can't you do the same with a mono plugin ?

Cheers.
Old 29th July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaume.pille View Post
Hi Animus, Hi all,

no problem if you don't like the sound but I don't really get this :

When you record guitar tracks with microphones and cabs, how do you record many tracks and do the mix ? Can't you do the same with a mono plugin ?

Cheers.
Hi Guillaume, it sounds to me like Animus is an Axe-FX user? The reason I assume this is that with the Axe-FX you can only use one cab sound at a time (unless you run the sims at half resolution) & therefore it's essential, if you wish to mix mics, to be able to create a static impulse with a set mix & load it into the unit as a single impulse. This obviously doesn't apply to recording in a DAW though, as in this case you'd do the same thing that you'd do when micing a cab in real life (i.e. use one track for one mic & a second track for another) & then you'd have control over the mix to suit. So yeh, I don't think what Animus is saying does really apply to the purpose of the software.

On a similar note though, one thing that would be handy as a possible future firmware upgrade to the VB-101 hardware unit would be the ability to multi-mic within the unit itself (rather than having to use a dry signal with the plugin if you want an additional mic). As the unit does have 2 outputs would it not be possible to have a 'dual mono' setting that could output different emulations to each output? ...just a thought. The VB-101 is one wicked unit though, I'm loving mine! :-)
Old 29th July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi Guillaume, it sounds to me like Animus is an Axe-FX user? The reason I assume this is that with the Axe-FX you can only use one cab sound at a time (unless you run the sims at half resolution) & therefore it's essential, if you wish to mix mics, to be able to create a static impulse with a set mix & load it into the unit as a single impulse.
Well I think he refers to some multi-channel impulse reader that are on the market. Well, anybody can upload any kind of third party impulse, mixed or not mixed with any kind of software into our products (both hardware and software). Of course some feature that one may find interesting in the Torpedo technology (non linear response, power amp simulation, mic positioning, phase adjusting) wont be available.

Quote:
As the unit does have 2 outputs would it not be possible to have a 'dual mono' setting that could output different emulations to each output? ...just a though
Well, as I wrote before, I don't want to interfere with the main topic, maybe we could continue in a dedicated VB-101 thread, maybe here ?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/instr...axe-fx-ii.html
Old 29th July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Well I think he refers to some multi-channel impulse reader that are on the market. Well, anybody can upload any kind of third party impulse, mixed or not mixed with any kind of software into our products (both hardware and software). Of course some feature that one may find interesting in the Torpedo technology (non linear response, power amp simulation, mic positioning, phase adjusting) wont be available.
Yes, I got that bit about the impulse reader he was using. My point was that I can only see the benefit of creating the 'mix' in the impulse reader itself if you wish to output a single static impulse from it that you intend to load into external gear. When recording in a DAW I can't see the benefit of this approach as I'd rather do it the same way that I would if I were using real microphones (which is how one would use the PI-101 software). Each to their own though. :-)

Quote:
Well, as I wrote before, I don't want to interfere with the main topic, maybe we could continue in a dedicated VB-101 thread, maybe here ?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/instr...axe-fx-ii.html
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just thought it was worth touching on that constructive suggestion here as it kinda tied into what Animus was saying about multi-micing options. I'll meet you over at the other thread... :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search