The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For Guitars-Vocals... Stereolizing a mono signal Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 10th March 2006
For Guitars-Vocals... Stereolizing a mono signal

I've got a doubt. What's the chain you use to recreate a stereo signal from a mono signal???

I'm talking about guitars, vocals... Sometimes I receive some songs to mix and I find that there's only 1 guitar track, and the intention is to make it seem more big and more stereo.

What I do is the following (using Pro Tools):

1- I set the guitar track totally left
2- I make a send (post-fader) from the guitar track to an aux input. The send is panned totally right. Volume is set a 0db
3- On the aux insert I put first a Delay (12.72 ms) and then a Reverb.
4- I play with volumes to get a balance betwen the signals.

What I'm trying to do is to make a bigger spatial sound, but I also know that the way I do I can have phase problems.

So, which other options do I have to obtain a "Stereolized sound"?? What do you do?

Thanks.
Old 10th March 2006

the method you use won't translate to mono well.

else you could use a "stereo spread" type plugin which basically puts different parts of the frequency range on each side, so in mono it is just the whole sound.

you could put it through a reverb with a wide stereo spread.

or you could record another guitar take to pan to the other side, if its too late you could make another guitar take out of the original guitar take, cutting and pasting matching bars into the other channel (not exactly the same part)

Narco
Old 10th March 2006
i agree. you could take the alternate verses and choruses and make up a completely new guitar track without even recording a new one.
usually a short delay will work although if it is too short you may end up with some weird phasing problems that will be really obvious in mono.
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Addict

You could use some processing to create a more open stereo field send the mono track into a stereo effects processor and back into the mix bus in stereo.
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Addict

Roland Dimension D

Here's a video on what UA did with a plug-in version.
http://uaudio.com/products/software/...emo-video.html
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Guru

I used to mult a track and send it to two sides of a graphic EQ. Pull all the odd sliders down on one and all the even sliders down on the other. I suppose you could create something similar with a plug - narrow and complimentary boosts and cuts. All your guitar will be there but certain frequencies will be emphasized on the left and certain frequencies will be emphasized on the right. ( Save the presets!)

you could also modulate the panned delay for a chorusy effect- probably need to increase your delay time a bit. At the right setting it won't phase so much as sound like a double. If it is moving it won't sound like an echo. Waves doubler does a nice job on this sort of thing, but you can roll your own.
Old 10th March 2006
Thank you everybody. I'll try to do everything you told me. I like the idea of making a 2nd guitar take using just one take. Very good idea. I think this trick explains what I'm trying to do if I only have one guitar take to mix.

More tricks overthere???

Saludos from Spain.
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardahl
So, which other options do I have to obtain a "Stereolized sound"?? What do you do?

Thanks.
Try this- take the mono signal and send it to both sides of a stereo graphic eq, then alternately boost and cut the bands so on one side the freq. will be boosted and the other side will be cut. Lather, rinse, repeat...... BAM! you now have a stereoized signal.

PS- Sphere 900s or API 560s would be my choice for the graphics......

EDIT* 'joeq' beat me to it........
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

You didnt say what kind of song or track it was. If its distorted rock guitar--EVH just copies his track and delays it and pitch shifts it. He almost never plays 2 rhythm tracks. Also if its a distorted R track you are not going to want to eq both side radically...as it changes the guit sound to much.

What you could do is run the guit track through a mic modeler then put on a automated delay that alters delay time as the track plays(11-30ms)..and do the same with a pitch shifter(say from 4-12 cents). Because the pitch and delay times are fluid it will not sound like your run of the mill automatic doubletrack.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search