The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DI before preamp.. Will I lose quality?
Old 28th June 2011
  #1
Gear Nut
 

DI before preamp.. Will I lose quality?

Wen recording at home, will running into a DI box before I run into my preamp have any negative effect on the sound quality?
Old 28th June 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famudeedo View Post
Wen recording at home, will running into a DI box before I run into my preamp have any negative effect on the sound quality?
Hello..This will depend on several things..

1.What you are running into the DI
2.The quality of the DI
3. The quality of the preamp behind the DI

That being said, you can get DIs that don't require a preamp behind it that has it own variable gain pot ( if you haven't got one already)..Tho' some are pretty expensive, but not as expensive as a good preamp/DI combo..Very desirable if you don't require a preamp for vocals,mic'ing amps,etc.Plus, it keeps your signal at line level, not having to drop back to mic level as required to use a preamp behind it..Good luck..
Old 28th June 2011
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Hello..This will depend on several things..

1.What you are running into the DI
2.The quality of the DI
3. The quality of the preamp behind the DI

That being said, you can get DIs that don't require a preamp behind it that has it own variable gain pot ( if you haven't got one already)..Tho' some are pretty expensive, but not as expensive as a good preamp/DI combo..Very desirable if you don't require a preamp for vocals,mic'ing amps,etc.Plus, it keeps your signal at line level, not having to drop back to mic level as required to use a preamp behind it..Good luck..
Hey Snatchman.. Nice name btw My pre is an apogee trak 2.. I have an electronic drum kit that seems to always have some electrical humming when I record them. Also, I think a DI could help with bass as well..
Anyway, I was looking into getting a DI box specifically for when I record drums, bass, and keyboard (not anything I'm mic'ing like vocals and acoustic guitar). Was thinking about a Radial JDI mk3.. Didn't know if running through that and into the trak 2 would have any negative impact. I haven't used a DI in recording before so I don't know.
Old 28th June 2011
  #4
Gear Nut
 

*My pre is an apogee trak 2.. Don't know why that last post messed that up
Old 28th June 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famudeedo View Post
Hey Snatchman.. Nice name btw My pre is an apogee trak 2.. I have an electronic drum kit that seems to always have some electrical humming when I record them. Also, I think a DI could help with bass as well..
Anyway, I was looking into getting a DI box specifically for when I record drums, bass, and keyboard (not anything I'm mic'ing like vocals and acoustic guitar). Was thinking about a Radial JDI mk3.. Didn't know if running through that and into the trak 2 would have any negative impact. I haven't used a DI in recording before so I don't know.
Hello..Thanks...heh...You should be ok with the Apogee as a pre..IME, as I've owned/have Radial DIs, tho a very good DI, the Radial are very "clean" ( basically what you put in you get out)..I've ran electronic drumsets thru them ( Duplex) and it gave back great detail but wasn't flattering in the Bass as you mentioned. Probably due to the Jensen transformers they use..You may wanna try some of the more "colored" DIs ( passive ) for the e.drums if you like this sort of sound..A transformer based DI may or (may not) help your humming e.drums. I used an EBtech Line-Level unit on my e.Drums that seem to help by changing the outputs from -10 to +4 very soon by using a short ( 2'cable) then converting to balanced out for my long run..Of course you can do this with a DI but depending on how close your preamp will be after the DI..Hope this helps some..Good luck..
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump