The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
slapback vocal sound live Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Maniac

slapback vocal sound live

Can anyone tell me a good way to achieve that classic 50's sounding slapback vocal sound in a live situation, think the cramps, Jon Spencer type or vocal. I need it to be achievable in any venue so desk effects aren't an option.
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Nut

Lexicon mx200 does the job, I use it all the time, gets the job done, and is quite inexpensive
Old 28th June 2011
member no 666

Any delay unit set to about 125ms... adjust to taste [which means using your ears].

Peace
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Any delay unit set to about 125ms... adjust to taste [which means using your ears].

Peace
cool, so how would i have it set up, di i need to run the mic into a di box then into a delay unit or pedal
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Boxer View Post
cool, so how would i have it set up, di i need to run the mic into a di box then into a delay unit or pedal
My girlfriend is using a delay on stage, and she wants to have control over it. So she's using a guitar pedal (electro harmonix whatever). Because of level issues she's using a cheap but ok preamp (ART) feeding the delay, into DI. So it's mic -> pre -> delay -> DI -> FOH. She never has any problems that way.
Old 30th June 2011
The TC Helicon pedals are ideal for this stuff - they have a mic preamp built in, which is good enough for live. I have a couple of VoiceLive2, which gives everything in one box. But you can buy just the single FX in cheaper stompboxes if you know exactly what you want.

As far as FX character goes, I would rather use the Line6 stuff. The top end Line6 floorboards have XLR mic inputs which you could use, although they probably aren't quite as good as the TC Helicon.

The problem with regular guitar pedals is that they are unbalanced instrument level. You could always use a quality mic preamp, provided it had an unbalanced output that you could use, and an output level to avoid overloading the pedal. The Line6 M5 (or the bigger boards) would be good if you went this way. Then you could use a DI box (like a Radial JDI) to convert from instrument level down to Mic level to sent to the desk. A passive transformer for ground loop isolation is not a bad idea since you will be asking for ground loops if you use AC from an outlet far away from the mix desk.

AFAIK, TC Helicon are the only people really on the ball for vocalists needing control of their own FX. Line6 are in a position to clean up if they got their act together. They have a brilliant wireless mic system, and great FX. They have the potential for making a brilliant vocal solution if they put the pieces together. The guitar floor boards are nearly there, and might be what you need right now.
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Even this little suitcase is NOT an option?

Old 30th June 2011
Gear Head

Try out a boss dd3 guitar pedal....actually quite good!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search