The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Lion 828mkII vs 828mk3 (Who's Right?) Audio Interfaces
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Black Lion 828mkII vs 828mk3 (Who's Right?)

i'm a BLA/828mkII owner considering getting a 828mk3...

i've reached out to MOTU, and they said the analog path and converters were upgraded in the mk3...then i reached out to Black Lion (who has apparently inspected the unit to see if it was fit for modding) and they said MOTU did not actually improve either of those things, and in their opinion, a BLA-modded mkII still sounds better than a mk3.

so are there any BLA/828mkII users out there that made the switch to a stock mk3? what did you noticed in terms of sound quality?

is there a bored 828mk3 user out there that might like to enhance this thread? i could post a file after a few generations of BLA/828mkII conversion, and you could do the same with your mk3...that might teach us something.
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3jon View Post
i'm a BLA/828mkII owner considering getting a 828mk3...

i've reached out to MOTU, and they said the analog path and converters were upgraded in the mk3...then i reached out to Black Lion (who has apparently inspected the unit to see if it was fit for modding) and they said MOTU did not actually improve either of those things, and in their opinion, a BLA-modded mkII still sounds better than a mk3.

so are there any BLA/828mkII users out there that made the switch to a stock mk3? what did you noticed in terms of sound quality?

is there a bored 828mk3 user out there that might like to enhance this thread? i could post a file after a few generations of BLA/828mkII conversion, and you could do the same with your mk3...that might teach us something.
Hi Guetto3jhon, i don´t know about the BLA Motu, but a BLA Digi 002, with the signature series modification, is way better than the Digi 003. Is just my opinion, but for me sounds better than apogee, linx, even the HD. Some one is gonna kill me for saying this but is kind of thruth, this guy Matt Newport of BLA really knows what he is doing with the weak spots in the devices, and after the mods they are what they suposed to be in the first place. Hope the original companies have a look of what BLA is doing and improve their stuff. Dreaming, dreaming.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search