The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Frankenstein Guitar Cabinet for Recording
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Frankenstein Guitar Cabinet for Recording

I have a Sunn guitar speaker cabinet with four 12" Celestion Greenbacks. Two of the speakers are blown.

I am thinking of replacing those speakers with four different speaker types for recording. That way, you could choose different speakers for recording different sounds all from the same cabinet.

Anyone see a potential problem with that? Is it imperative that I make sure each of the four speakers has the same resistance value (OHM)?

I was thinking of this combination...

Celestion Greenback
Celestion Alnico Blue
Fender Oxford
Bass Driver (which one has the best classic rock bass sound?)

What speaker combinations would you all put in?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

I don't like the idea of mismatched speakers myself, but there is nothing to say you can do it. For recording, I like single speakers anyway.

I wouldn't put a bass driver in a guitar cab - they aren't built to take the stress, and are likely to rattle.

If you aren't worried about snob value, there is a lot to be said for making your own simple cabinets out of plywood and 2x4. You can make them a lot stronger and free of rattles. Since efficiency and projection aren't huge issues in a studio, you can use open back design for a more open sound.
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
I don't like the idea of mismatched speakers myself, but there is nothing to say you can do it. For recording, I like single speakers anyway.

I wouldn't put a bass driver in a guitar cab - they aren't built to take the stress, and are likely to rattle.

If you aren't worried about snob value, there is a lot to be said for making your own simple cabinets out of plywood and 2x4. You can make them a lot stronger and free of rattles. Since efficiency and projection aren't huge issues in a studio, you can use open back design for a more open sound.
I hate to challenge... but i'm not sure i agree with the plywood & 2x4's cab... Firstly, a cabinet imparts a tonal distinction to the sound: Listen to a mg series marshall vs. a real one (mg is particleboard, 1960 series or whatever are real wood) And quality cabinet manufacturers select a very high grade of wood and utilize expert techniques.

Basically, it would work, but i think many may be disappointed when they don't find the sound they want.

But relaxo, you may still want to reconsider... i could see maybe 2 different types in the cabinet... two on top, two on bottom... or even a stereo setup where L and R use different speakers... You may want blue's especially in another cab, and that's what i would recommend. Much lower wattage speaker... I would put one or two in a separate semi-open back cab. --but that's just me

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search