The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you guys think of David Grisman's studio sound?
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

What do you guys think of David Grisman's studio sound?

Specifically the acoustic based Tone Poems series and the most recent Tone Poets. This kind of sound eludes me, and it sounds like something I'd like to at least achieve to some degree or the other.

It seems, according to his own liner notes, and the great article in Fretboard Journal, Grisman does most of the mixing and mastering himself. He used a mixture of neutral Neumann mics, through his MCI JH416 console, and eventually into analog tape at 30ips.

How does a guy keep an old MCI console sounding so good?
Old 10th March 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne mox
How does a guy keep an old MCI console sounding so good?
With maintence.

Well, that and being able to record great musicians playing great music! That'll make ANY console sound good.
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
With maintence.

Well, that and being able to record great musicians playing great music! That'll make ANY console sound good.

Ok your right. Good players are more important than good preamps. Why can't I get this through my thick skull and quit trying to copy this stuff...?
Old 10th March 2006
One with big hooves

Yeah, from time to time I have to remind myself of that too.

Like last week when I was mixing a pretty bad live thing I kept hearing this voice go through my head...a mastering engineer that I knew eons ago once said when faced with a rather 'interesting' record;

"Everything that's wrong with this isn't you."

heh

If there's one point that was really driven home by doing FOH it's that the musician really is in control. With someone like a Del McCoury, Sam Bush, Tony Trischka etc. at the helm all you really have to do is stick a mic somewhere near them, turn it up and maybe roll off some bottom or whatever and you'll look like a genious.

Well, maybe a little compression or some 'invisible' reverb can't hurt too much but 90% of the sound is coming from them. Once you realize and wholely accept that as truth, the rest is usually easy.
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

The Garcia "Pizza Tapes" sounds absolutely beautiful. Of course Jerry Garcia and Tony Rice might have something to do with that.
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
The Garcia "Pizza Tapes" sounds absolutely beautiful. Of course Jerry Garcia and Tony Rice might have something to do with that.
Yeah I read that they did the Pizza Tapes the same time they were recording Tone Poems volume 1, and Garcia happened to stop by. Pretty cool eh.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search