The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A/D Converter Question
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Addict

A/D Converter Question

I use a Digi001 interface into my Protools LE. The consensus is that the Digi001 has sub-par A/D converters. I am about to purchase a Neve Portico 5032 specifically for vocals.

My Question: Will I be undercutting the benefits of my financial investment in the Neve Portico by continuing to use my present A/D conversion? I don't want to spend $2,000 in the pre if my converters are going to keep it from really making me glad I got the unit.
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

I don't think so. The Neve with 'average' converters will make a bigger difference to your sound than using a **** pre with with good converters. As far as AD converters go I think it's fair to use the phrase 'crap in, crap out'. Remember, the 001's ADC will only be sub-par compared to expensive outboard boxes.
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recording David
...Neve with 'average' converters will make a bigger difference to your sound...
Portico 5032... what converters?
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

I assume he means the converters on the 001.
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

Conversion quality difference is generally much more impactful on the aggregate of all your tracks rather that one specific signal chain. I.E. ...if you want your mixes to sound better converter/clocking upgrades can really help. Average to poor converters tend to make themselves more noticable as the jitter and subtle artifacts start piling up on several tracks.

cheers,
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

what good is a fantastic pre if you can't convert it to the digital realm transparently?

yea, it will sound better than if you had no Portico alone. but if you're working on a $2,000 budget for vocals, then perhaps a better investment would be a single channel preamp like a Great River ME1-NV, and a Mytek Stereo96.

i think we could all agree that we'd rather use a Great River with a Mytek than a Portico with an 001.
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

great minds... in perfect unison...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search