The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M930/BG1
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Nut

M930/BG1

Hi there,
I need some advice on my vocal chain. Right now I'm using a Gefell M930 with the DAV BG1 on a alto/mezzosop female voice. On some songs it sounds really nice and clear, on others the sound is a bit bright, lacking some lowmid warmth. Anyone have a suggestion? Would it help to record the Gefell through someting like The Brick? Or rather a 610 amp?
Or would it be wiser to use a tube mic? Of course something like an U67 would be probably great on her voice, but is there something a bit more affordable ; ) that would work?
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg
Hi there,
I need some advice on my vocal chain. Right now I'm using a Gefell M930 with the DAV BG1 on a alto/mezzosop female voice. On some songs it sounds really nice and clear, on others the sound is a bit bright, lacking some lowmid warmth. Anyone have a suggestion? Would it help to record the Gefell through someting like The Brick? Or rather a 610 amp?
Or would it be wiser to use a tube mic? Of course something like an U67 would be probably great on her voice, but is there something a bit more affordable ; ) that would work?
I use the m930s with the BG1 too, and love it. I would keep BG1 in the chain and grab Gefells tube offering, the um92.1, which sounds really spectacular on female voices, or the gefell um75. Both of those mics adress the problems you are describing.
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Nut

Thanks for the tip. Are there any cheaper options? Would something like Studio Projects T3 be any good?
And how about the other idea: paring the 930 with a tube pre?
Old 9th March 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg
Thanks for the tip. Are there any cheaper options? Would something like Studio Projects T3 be any good?
And how about the other idea: paring the 930 with a tube pre?
The T3 = not the sound you are describing that you want and it's pretty bright (one of your issues with the M930). If the M930 is "close but no cigar" you may consider EQ? That'll make more of a difference than preamp selection anyhow in this case.

An Audix SCX25 has a very full low mid thing going on, and isn't an overly bright mic. I wonder if it may fit the bill.

War
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

The MojaveMA200 is a good 67 clone for not much $$, IMO. Low mid warmth for days...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search