The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tremolo Pedal
Old 16th April 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The only tube pedal that I know of is the Guyatone Flip VT-X Vintage Tremolo. It was a bit too noisy, even in bypass, for my taste.
Old 16th April 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzujan
The Cusack Tap-A-Whirl! (Thank you Bobby Yarrow)
...Pentavocal and the Tap-A-Whirl - sound / feature wise it was a toss up, the tap tempo is what pushed the Cusack over the top.
I have a Tap-A-Whirl, which I bought when they first came out because I do psychadelic-dub-electronica type stuff. I thought the tap tempo feature and the multiple zany waveforms would be great for that. And they are really great. However, pure tone-wise, the Cusack doesn't have the same mojo vibe and nice big fat tone that my Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 has. For pure tone... and the ability to go from soft to ultra hard... and slow to "helicopter rotor blades" fast trems, I much prefer the Menatone Pleasure Trem over the Tap-A-Whirl.
Old 25th April 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dog
Has anyone heard the new Tortoise and Bonnie "Prince" Billy record, "The Brave And The Bold”. Aside from being one of the most incredible records to come out in forever, and having some of the greatest tones I've heard in a long time (check out the drums on "Daniel"), Tortoise guitarist Jeff Parker has some absolutely gorgeous tremolo going on throughout the recording.

I can find any info on what he's using, but it sounds like how I feel tremolo should sound.
Here's your answer, straight from the source, Mr Parker:

"My tremolo is from a Moog Moogerfooger Ring Modulator. Doug McCombs, who also plays a lot of guitar on that record, uses the tremolo on his Fender Vibroverb reissue (the brown one - not the $3000 custom shop one). They both sound great. The Moog has an expression pedal, and you can control the rate of tremolo by routing it in to alter the frequency signal. "
Old 24th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Me: "Didn't you and the other cats get a lot's worth of those moogerfoogers for
free?"
Jeff: "Nah, we paid, half off."
Me: "What do you think of 'em?"
Jeff: "Oh man, I'd pay twice as much!"
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I came across this not too long ago.

You put this on your tube amp and it actually modulates the bias of the output tubes. Has anybody used one? I've been curious about them for a while.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a Sherlock Tremit with a TIP third hand mounted on the speed dial

Area 51 looks interesting, as does the toneczar.

poly tremolo in amazing ie. running my tremit into the vox

Andy
Old 24th June 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Fulltone , T-Rex and check out the Gig-Fx (Chopper)...very usable and exciting; stereo in and out!
Old 22nd July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby yarrow
There's an easy trick to remember how to spell tremolo:

It's spelled tremOlo, not tremElo.

See?

---

Spell it any way you want. But note that the word is properly spelled on about half the Fender amps in existence, so you can stare at one of those for a while if you want to spell it right.
Right. But, here's the weird, weird thing. The effect which Fender labels "tremolo" on its amps is in fact vibrato, not tremolo. While, the effect which Fender labels "vibrato" on its amps is in fact tremolo, not vibrato. So, while it's spelled "v-i-b-r-a-t-o" on my Twin Reverb, it really should be spelled "t-r-e-m-o-l-o", because it's a tremolo, not a vibrato. Got that? Neither do I.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzujan
The only tube pedal that I know of is the Guyatone Flip VT-X Vintage Tremolo. It was a bit too noisy, even in bypass, for my taste.
Peavy's Valverb, while not a pedal, is a tube tremolo. I bought one off eBay and like it pretty well.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Empress Tremolo - highly recommended

For those looking for a tap-tempo tremolo pedal, I can highly recommend the Empress Tremolo:

http://www.empresseffects.com/tremolo.php

Sound clips on the site... but I've heard it live, and I recommend it without qualification.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
schaller

The same co that makes tuning machines made a weird trem pedal.
I think they are hard to find now, discontinued?
Producer Fred Maher turned me on to it.

very basic, Very usable.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...molo%20TR/10/1
Attached Thumbnails
Tremolo Pedal-schaller_tremolo_001.jpg  
Old 23rd July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubes2bits
Does anyone know of any other tube tremolo pedals?
Yeah, the Fender deal mentioned above, but it's not a pedal.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The Catlinbread Semaphore tremolo is the best pedal trem ever made. Best sound, best features.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Victoria Reverberato

Victoria used to make a tremolo and reverb tube & spring box. I am glad that I picked up one years ago. I like it better than the trem in my blackface twin, Super Reverb, or Deluxe. My personal experience with the pedals is that they are a different animal-- no better, no worse but a different tool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
I would tend to use plugins too. But having perfectly synced tremolo can be too anal retentive for some things. The effect of tremelo on the amp, speaker and air is very different from applying a plugin later. It also affects the way you play, so there is definatley a place for using a nice pedal and just flagging the sync idea. Tremolo guitar makes me think about vintage character, not waka waka sequenced stuff.
The way I do this is to record the guitar thru a DI and then, after applying the tremolo plugin to the DI'd signal, reamp it.
Old 24th July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun
Victoria used to make a tremolo and reverb tube & spring box. I am glad that I picked up one years ago. I like it better than the trem in my blackface twin, Super Reverb, or Deluxe. My personal experience with the pedals is that they are a different animal-- no better, no worse but a different tool.
I had one of those for a couple of years while playing through tweed era amps and wanting reverb. The trem was great, I found (on mine) the reverb a bit dark and the unit overall seemed to cut the shimmer off the amp. I eventually sold it and now use (live) a Fulltone Supa-Trem. I find the Supa-Trem pretty flexible and great sounding. I was always interested in owning the Peavey Valverb units for my acoustic rack, but they've gone up in price quite a bit.

My favorite trem ever comes of an 1960 Ampeg Reverberocket, simply beautiful. Nice reverb on the thing too. Fender Brown amps are great, too. Dave Allen's been recreating that sound in a few of his amps.
πŸ“ Reply