The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Me'Shell Ndegeocello...anyone know her bass chain?
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Me'Shell Ndegeocello...anyone know her bass chain?

One of the best fo' sure.
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Addict

Don't know the chain, but she use to play Modulus basses exclusively.
Old 9th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSpace
One of the best fo' sure.

Not sure what she is using now but I was local FOH for a gig she played back in the 90's and she was using Eden amps and cabs (if I remember it was a 4x12 cab with a 15 maybe but don't hold to to it). I don't recall that she was using anything on the front end just her fingers on her bass into the Eden head and cabs.
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

I don't think she plays any bass exclusively. I know she has a couple of Jazz basses and a Music Man Stingray she's quite fond of. As far a chain in the studio, anything goes but if Bob Power was doing it he really likes his Aguilar DB680 bass pre so I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of her chain. I had one and it's a great piece of gear. Sold it cuz I prefer the Millenia TD-1.
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

hey kellyd--

are you a stock TD1 user or did you change the tubes?
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

zarembo, at the moment I'm using the stock tube simply cuz I don't have the time to mess with it.. If it wasn't giving up the tone w/ the stock tube I'm sure I would find the time. 50% of the my bass tracks I use the fet mode into either a CL1B for the tube vibe or the tube mode into a Distressor set to opti.
BTW. I also use the DI input on my BAE 312As and the DI on my Chameloen Labs 1073 clone w/ great results. I'm not a huge tube freak (unless it's bass amps). I use what works for the moment.
Old 9th March 2006
Oooh, I know this one.

First you take Me'shell... Then put any bass that can hold a tune in her hands, then plug her into an amp and mic it (or you can go direct (or you can do both if you're indecisive))

Then hit the red botton.

Alright, I'm playing. But with a bassist of her caliber you just have to listen to what they want and know how to get it. I have a lot of mics, amps, pre's and DI's available but my most important peice of gear for this situation is the TD-1 (mullards on the tube side).

That way I can get every ounce of sound coming from the bass pickups and then reamp or chop it up however I want once the bassist is gone. If they're really particular about their sound then you can let them stay in the room.

Peace, Paul
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

I loved her live show I saw back in maybe '97--

as the band leader, she would start the song playing bass, slapping the groove, what have you, and then ANOTHER bass player would join in on the lick like a crossfade and then MeShell would be off playing keys or whatever while the other bassist played the song.

However, then there are those times she picks the bass up and keeps playing and then solos and oh lord!

very very cool.
Old 10th March 2006
When I recorded her, she was using one of Jaco's Jazz basses. We tracked direct.

I think her current rider specifies Ampeg amps for both live an recording.

Her use of the bass tone knob is part of her sound.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Meshell = Mida's touch.

Seems that's she's always changing her chain (and always sounding AWESOME).

Her second album "Peace Beyond Passion" was tracked by our fellow GS member Rail Jon Rogurt.
He said me, in another forum, that the chain was almost the same for all the tracks:

jazz bass -> little labs DI-> neve 1073 -> tube tech CLB1 -> Sony PCM800 (DA88) recorder.

Lately, I saw pictures of her playing live with Ampeg SVT Classic heads and cabinets...

She also mentioning Aguilera DB680 preamp for her last album (dance of infidel).
I don't know if they used it straight to tape, or to a miced cab. Would like to know.

I know that her sound is her fingers, but I also woul be glad to know what she is using lately.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

the two me'shell shows i saw in the past 5 years were two of the most amazing
shows i have ever seen.......
she is a badass mf with killer sidemen....

be well

- jack
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search