The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crazy guy who says he "knows all about audio"
Old 9th March 2006
Here for the gear

Crazy guy who says he "knows all about audio"

So this guy posts an ad on a site asking for help - wants "professionals in the audio arena" to help promote a new product.. i reply with a short mail asking for details... this is what he wrote back...

I know all about audio and I am trying to invent a new "CD" format... Well here is what I propose to produce, with help. Instead of one laser why not 2 running quad and instead of 16-bit 44,000khz why not .wav at 20-bit 55,000khz. I would want your help selling the idea to make a patented prototype to demonstrate to artists , not record manufacturers to promote and sell it as a record label searching for new clients and actually selling it in stores. To advertise all the artists of very popular status would arrange for televised concerts, which I could be involved as a host. I have many more cool ideas, I know from having thought this through including digital photography. If this sells, and I believe it will anyone like you could make a sizable profit for your help and meet more artists. If you think my business plan sucks, please don't try to change it. I am not out for a fast buck, and I need my own record label to prove it. After I receive enough clients to record for in a few years I will offer the other record companies the right to use and sell records done with this format, so I am not looking to be a monopoly.

I can tell the guy is a nut from his email, So I reply with my tongue firmly in cheek: I'm wondering whether I'm missing something here.. If the audio is recorded in WAV format at 20bit 55khz (how did you arrive at a sample frequencyt of 55khz - or is it actually 55,000khz - as you wrote, which would be 55mhz!!!) - wouldn't the customer then need to buy a 'player' in order to play back these 'discs' ? Are you expecting the listener to buy a different playback machine just to listen to discs manufactured by your 'label' - please dont take this the wrong way. Im trying to get it all right in my head... And have you considered the advent of surround format - either 5.1 or 10.2 DVD music discs? possibly recorded at 24bit 192khz?

Check his reply: The music originally should be recognized at 24-bit when it is remastered or freshly recorded. But it my opinion, people like me don't want to hear that for just audio unless you are watching a movie. And then that psychological experience is been proven to satisfy the listener, not the same as compressed. And what I mean is, for example you go to a movie but after you see it you will probably not watch it everyday. Music is different. You listen to the same thing more often. All I am saying is the correct compression is important. Now my compression is more than cd's and less than a movie soundtrack. I think I have found center. The hz rate was mathematically raised as the Bitrate was making it still proportionate to the file and I liked it the best out of many tests. The reason I chose quad over surround sound was that 1) I believe it is better 2) Anyone can produce a machine that plays surround sound and my machine will open a new universal way of recording that is made to produce the best recording experience when mixing or even flat recording of 4 channels. And yes I will also promote new hardware as part of the advertising and I believe this new hardware will become more advanced as we continue to use better technology in the future. I am firm on these principals, which means I don't believe in compromise. I need no money just contacts with artists that will agree to helping me get a contract signed with a major artist, like David Bowie for example. Go ahead ask me what the contract will be. Well the contract lets the artist take control of the product until it pays for itself and the details of the business plan, plus leverage to meet and convert more artists to the record label only after they witness progress.

I reply: You sir, are a fruitcake.

I think he's been smoking too much of that crack stuff...
Why does LA have a monopoly on lunatics? In the 8 years I have spent that wonderful city I met more crazies than in 20 years in London. Is it the smog? The sun? The women? What is it?
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

Why he's got something there, he could put it in a specially designed case, shrink it down and he could call it the mini-disc.

He doesn't work for Sony does he ????
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

You have just encountered an experiance with the one and only "WALTERS"

He is a master at this....don't underestimate the power of WALTERSheh
Old 9th March 2006
WHITEAUDIOLABs
You know the fukked up thing is, crazy bastards like that are the people who think **** up that was initially thought to be impossible. It did sound like speed freak gibberish though.
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

Walters who?
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Guru
Quote:
I have many more cool ideas, I know from having thought this through including digital photography.
Quote:
Now my compression is more than cd's and less than a movie soundtrack. I think I have found center. The hz rate was mathematically raised as the Bitrate was making it still proportionate to the file and I liked it the best out of many tests.
Man, can that guy put a sentence together or what!
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R.
Walters who?

WALTERS cannot be explained....he must be experienced.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...hlight=walters
Old 9th March 2006
Here for the gear

oh wow. maybe he is walters brother. glad im not the only one who thought the guy was a complete freak. so uh, anyway, i bought one of those new "CD" players so i could play the new david bowie album on Nutters-R-Us records...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search