The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What gear have you bought that was influenced by ESP?
Old 9th March 2006

Really.

You know what I mean. Maybe you don't know anything about it. Maybe there's even a mixed or bad buzz on it.

But, still, you just know ya gotta have it, common sense and practical wisdom be damned.

What was it?

And -- how'd it work out?

Old 9th March 2006
Gear Guru

I have a pretty good track record. Millennia, Metric Halo 2882+DSP, ULN-2 and Peluso mics.

About 12 years ago out of the blue I gave John La Grou a call. I got a couple of the first proto type Quad HV-3 Millennia boxes in existence. I really didn't know the first thing about Millennia at the time.

About three years ago I plunked money down, sight unseen, unheard for the 2882+DSP and later the ULN-2. The first hardware boxes Metric Halo made. They had only made Channel Strip and Spectrafoo. I was impressed with Foo I figured it was a small risk.

I don't know where I hear about Peluso mics, but I was one of the very first to use them. I was also the ffirst to review them.

Most of the rest of my stuff I researched pretty well.

Oh yeah, here's another. The NHT-Pro M-00s and S-00. Those fell into my lap. I was mixing in a studio that had those along with the Genelec 1031s, some KRKs, NS10s and Auratone hooked up at the same time. During the course of time I was mixing three albums, I'd go through all 5 speakers. The room wasn't so good. I ended up settle on the NHTs. They just always sat right with me. Turned out the studio owner didn't want them and almost gave them to me. I don't know whether that's ESP as much as just being fortuitous.
Old 9th March 2006
Whole raft of $60 Chinese condensers, MXL V57M's, CAD GXL 2200's...

Secret weapons, each and every one...
Old 9th March 2006
ADAM P22s.
It is a nightmare to check out pro gear in Dallas!
We have no real pro-shops.

So I just bought.
If I would have known how cool they were, I would have dropped the cash for the bigger ones.

D
Old 9th March 2006
Jai guru deva om

My Arbiter maple drums and my Randall MTS combo system, two successful choices without hearing first. I'm kind of lucky that I get to hear a lot of gear though.

War
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Maniac

1176 - I grew up in an SSL facility and my bosses were very into modern. new. clean. We had no neve gear, maybe one LA4 in one of the voice over studios.
I spent the first ten years not knowing how they sounded. I had heard so much about them that when I saw one for sale I just bought it. I wish I had bought a dozen now. It was the sound I'd been trying to get for a fair while. I'd heard it on records but couldn't get it with the ssl. Opto fet teamed with soaked transformers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search