The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avalon + 103 = ????
Old 8th March 2006
Here for the gear

Avalon + 103 = ????

Hey all, I'm getting ready to buy another pre. This pre will be paired with a TLM-103 and used only for coutry-ish vocals. At this time I don't have a good outboard compressor so I was leaning toward an avalon 737. I have heard although its not the best it's weaknesses, paired with the weaknesses of the 103, match up quite well and compliment each other nicely.

On the other hand, I'd like to have a Hardy m-1 and/or mp-1nv but again, have heard about the 747+103 "magic" .
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

I wonder how many would pick the API 3124+ over the AVALON vt-737sp only because (pre vs pre), the API pisses on the avalon because it sucks big time?????heh
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Well, I've used the 737 paired with the TLM-103 for a while now (before I my 1073/E49 upgrades) and I've found it to be good on some things, not great on others, but I've had success with that combination.

What kind of vocals will you be using it for?
Old 8th March 2006
Here for the gear

Vocals would be southern gospel - country-ish.
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

The Avalon is a step up.......from nothing. In other words, if you don't have anything, you'll sound better. IMHO, the pre bites. The EQ makes the box usable, but wouldn't you rather buy a great pre that you don't have to "fix" the sound of? For the same dough?

My opinion.
Old 8th March 2006
Here for the gear

Right now, I'm using an A-Design mp-2, but am looking for a 3rd channel.
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Also I purchased mine used from someone I knew. This made the pre so much more attractive. For retail price I would probably buy something else.
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

mannn... https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/61405-sexy-chocolate.html hear the difference for yourself.

and add the Babyface compressor MOD.
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagerty
Right now, I'm using an A-Design mp-2, but am looking for a 3rd channel.
You're already in the good stuff! Don't mess with the Avalon. Get something that's on par with the MP-2. That's a great box.

Old 8th March 2006
Gear Addict

Ok, I call bull****. The Avalon is fine. Quite good infact, very clean if that's what you're after. The TLM103 is a good mic, not a great mic, but the same is very true for different reasons of some the more vaunted mics in the price range (ehem... U195). Both have fallen out of vogue on the boards and are now some of the 'it' **** throwing targets. Means they can be had for good prices on Ebay. Wait a decade and folks will be saying "you know, I just cut this killer track with an Avalon and a TLM103, whadya know?!"... and the hype machine will rear it's head once again. Many a good and brisk selling track has been cut with them both.

That said, the 103/Avalon combo is not what I'd think of first for the music style you're looking create. Something more colorful, probably tube driven like the stuff mentioned, would suit your style better.
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Head

Since this message board is dying for my 2 cents, here it is.

1) Everytime I see a 737 and TLM103 (which is often, since they're everywhere), I let out a long, slow sigh. Lackluster is the word that pops into my head.

2) I'll also say that the John Hardy and Great River pres rock. And, speaking of trendy, so does the Millenia Media.

2 cents deposited.
Old 9th March 2006
A 2nd strong vote for the John Hardys. I have used them very well with the 103 on trumpet and sax. I personally wouldn't use the 103 on anything else...
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Try the Millenia STT-1
got one of those (also got one 103)
love that thing!
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

Avalon+103 = a decent sound that could be had much cheaper and better from different gear.
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

I`m not sure why the 737 gets so little respect in these parts... however I have found it to be a great tool and when used with the 103, the sound is clean. This combo will not give you "character" though.
Old 9th March 2006
the 737 to me is a white hot razor... and i used it as such.. mostly for distorted vocals. well, that and as a bass DI, which it was fine for... but so is a U5. the compressor always sounded like it was hitting a brick wall... reminded me tonally of waves L1 for some reason.

for the price of a 737 i'd get a daking pre/eq, neve 3114, amek 9098, chandler germanium.. lots of choices out there for that coin.

for the price of a 103 you can get a røde or something cool.
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

yes

The "character" is your VOICE . Not your mic !
Sorry friend, nothing "personal".
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4PCs
The "character" is your VOICE . Not your mic !
Sorry friend, nothing "personal".
No actually, mics all have their own character as do mic pres. I own and use the 737 and 103 when I want clean signals. If I want something with "character", I`ll experiment. The human voice does have character, not disagreeing with you but mics and pres play a large part in the character of a signal.

Peace,
Ernest
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

That's my combo and I feel that I get good results. I switched from using a UA610. Clients love the 737 which is why I switched. For the money you can't go wrong. (You can get them both on eBay for around 2K total.)
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
That's my combo and I feel that I get good results. I switched from using a UA610. Clients love the 737 which is why I switched. For the money you can't go wrong. (You can get them both on eBay for around 2K total.)
not to be negative, but thats about what they are really worth. the 103 to me is prosumer (i used to own one) and the avalon pre is pretty OK, not great, but the components are not as good compared to other alternatives (at the normal new prices).

my 103 cost $700 in '99, and was really a $400 mic in quality (at best). A $400 Chinese or even a GT 67 (which i currently own but never use) is better IMHO. Prosumer. With the Euro where it is now, its just silly. Granted prosumer is much better than it was 10 years ago, but still the quality bar has beeen raised.

the new prices are about double what you pay for because you are paying for a brand name and lots of marketing it implies (in addition to the strong euro). all manufacturers are sourcing from the same pool of components to make their gear. a brand costs a LOT to develop and in addition requires a higher margin to justify that development (that's not dumb left wing ranting, i used to be an investment banker for 11 years). if he ends up buying avalon it should definitely be a used one, so he can dump should he see the light without too much financial pain. note how many used avalons are on the market compared to other great brands you never see there. it is for a reason. flame away my fellow GS but its just imho.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search