The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rock/Metal Drum Samples Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 25th June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
i was just checking out the steven slate drums and even though they sound pretty good on their own they're definitely nothing like what they're trying to recreate

listen to the paramore mix for instance, the snare is not even close to the original and honestly if paramore sounded like that i wouldn't listen to them
The "vintage" ones always make me smile
Old 26th June 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
i was just checking out the steven slate drums and even though they sound pretty good on their own they're definitely nothing like what they're trying to recreate

listen to the paramore mix for instance, the snare is not even close to the original and honestly if paramore sounded like that i wouldn't listen to them
Steven Slate didn't model Paramore nor did he make the Paramore cover.. The Paramore cover was produced by one of our many talented customers, and while it may not be exactly like the original, it sounds great.

If you want to hear how Steven Slate's official models sound, then check them out.. The Metallica and Steely Dan models are so close its crazy...

But I agree, before I worked for Yellow Matter I heard a demo that used Steven Slate drums and it wasn't a modeled kit, it was just a really amazing sounding drumkit that forced me to purchase SSD the next day! The modeled kits are great when you are going for that sound, but besides them, there are a lot of great drum sounds.
Old 26th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopants View Post
I just lost my whole sample library (long story), I had a great collection of drum samples that were given to me when I did a favor for a producer. I can't get them back now. I had some killer kicks and toms. Good snares too. RIP

Where do you get samples to blend in behind real drum tracks? Do you just sample the drums on every session (or just good sessions) and save them up, or do you buy sample libraries or collections?

While we're on the topic, do you guys have any special tricks or techniques you use when blending samples in? Eq/Mult/Comp tricks? (I know it's depends on the sound, I mean general things you do)

And finally...does anyone want to donate some rock/metal drum samples to a worthy cause...

The only time I've used drum samples was an experiment with an e-drum kit that didn't work - too much latency. Other than that I use good mics on a drum kit and work to get them sounding good. If you're doing rock or metal you should use drums, not samples. And a real drummer.
Old 26th June 2009
"Nirvana" drum kit? Really? Why am I skeptical?
Old 26th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Long View Post
Steven Slate didn't model Paramore nor did he make the Paramore cover.. The Paramore cover was produced by one of our many talented customers, and while it may not be exactly like the original, it sounds great.

If you want to hear how Steven Slate's official models sound, then check them out.. The Metallica and Steely Dan models are so close its crazy...

But I agree, before I worked for Yellow Matter I heard a demo that used Steven Slate drums and it wasn't a modeled kit, it was just a really amazing sounding drumkit that forced me to purchase SSD the next day! The modeled kits are great when you are going for that sound, but besides them, there are a lot of great drum sounds.
well that makes a little more sense then, thanks for clearing that up!
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

There is a free Kick and Snare download for metal drum sounds here Drum Samples for Metal | Invictus Audio | Metal Drum Samples . As For some tips for mixing and getting the drums to punch out more I will send out the meat parts to a stereo bus(Kick snare and toms) and throw on a comp - Basically a slow attack say around 30 or 50 ms and fast release . Just bring down the threshold so it sound a bit mroe punchy - careful you dont do it too much or it will sound too compressed . Then throw the cymbals , and rooms into a separate Drums Bus -I usually don't compress that Bus as I have it already dialed in on their channels . Remeber you don't have to overcompress to get a good sound either .
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

If you're interested, I just put online a 15 snare samples library recorded using high end gear (Vintech, Lavry...). They sound great, no post-processing involved, so you can do what you want mixing them. There is one free snare for you to judge, but the total collection is $30 only (made it really affordable for everyone).

Here is the link :
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...t=drum+samples
Old 8th April 2011
Gear maniac

and while we're at it:

LSD Drums — Home

(sorry for the plug )
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Addict

here's some good samples...
Attached Files
File Type: zip attack (2).zip (1.22 MB, 1265 views)
Old 14th October 2012

I know everyone is trying to find some good metal drums. I recently recorded some drums for a YouTube demonstration but along with the session I ask the drummer to do single hits of each drum and of the cymbals. Each drum is printed with and without the room mics. To get the free samples hit the youtube link and look in the description.

Keep making awesome music guys =)

Recording Drums at Home. Free Drum Samples!!! - YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search