The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live Vocals mic's ( AE 5400, ksm9, e 965 ) Dynamic Microphones
Old 14th June 2011
Gear Addict

Live Vocals mic's ( AE 5400, ksm9, e 965 )

Hi Guys, need some advice on live vocals mic's.
we currently play in in a Church band, but will also use the new mic's for acoustic gigs. it's for me and my wife. Currently i am using a e945 and she is using a beta 58. I feel its MAYBE time to upgrade

i've been Looking at the Audio Technica ae 5400. is there Anyone who used them before???? and experience with them???. from what i've read they sound pretty awesome. also how to they compare agains other condensors like the ksm 9, e 965....? looking for better clarity and warmth.

At church our stage noise is loudish, but we do try to keep it down. it is a pretty big stage, and we use wedges. no IEM. Full band. The vocal sound and tone is pretty important in what we do. the same for the acoustic gig's ( country rock/pop ).

Is it a bad idea to go for condensors? or will they make a difference in sound from what we have now?

from what i've read i like the Audio Technica AE 5400, but also like the ksm9 and e 965( they are just more expensive ). but as i live in perth, Australia there is no place to test any higher end condensors.

Any help or advice would be fantastic!!!!
Thanks
Old 14th June 2011
Lives for gear

Most condensers will get you closer to feedback, but if you have the volume of the singing and the stage volume sorted, it doesn't make much difference.

Nice vocal mics are: Beyerdynamic M88, Sennheiser MD441.
Mics if you got problems with feedback: Audix OM7, Heil PR22 or 20. The Heil is more forgiving in terms of sweet spot.
Old 14th June 2011
Gear Addict

You mean it wont make a difference in terms of the sound quality????
Old 14th June 2011
Lives for gear

A good dynamic mic comes close to a condenser in terms of resolution and details... sometimes without the resonances some lesser condensers sport. Don't think a dynamic mic means lower quality. Nobody in a studio would shy away from a good dynamic mic to record if it fits the voice.
Try these mics. I don't recommend them without a reason. And yes, at least the 441 is more expensive than most of it's competitors. For a good reason.
Old 14th June 2011
Lives for gear

hello,
the om7 will give you excellent gain before feedback due to it's excellent rejection, something a singer on a loud stage needs. condensers, on the other hand, will most often do the opposite. the om7, also because of it's tight pattern/rejection, will greatly minimize bleed from the other instruments which will muddy-up your vocals, allowing them to cut more easily and come across with more clarity. the trade off to these rejection characteristics is that the singer must be mindful of the tight pattern and stay on-mic or his volume will drop off dramatically as he wanders from the sweet spot.

hope that helps.
Old 15th June 2011
Gear Nut

I haven't tried the others unfortunately, but the AE5400 is one awesome microphone. My band does an occasional un-plugged show (other shows are full-on rock) and this mic excels in both environments. The clarity and warmth are excellent, and I think I've seen James Hetfield and Dave Grohl use them live (which attests to their SPL handling).
Old 15th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalog View Post
I haven't tried the others unfortunately, but the AE5400 is one awesome microphone. My band does an occasional un-plugged show (other shows are full-on rock) and this mic excels in both environments. The clarity and warmth are excellent, and I think I've seen James Hetfield and Dave Grohl use them live (which attests to their SPL handling).
Thanks for all the reply's guys, will check all of them out.

Danalog, with the unplugged and full on rock gigs, do you guys use monitors/wedges or IEM's?? basically how's the stage noise?
Old 15th June 2011
I'd also suggest looking at the Telefunken M80s. Great mic and won't break the bank.
Old 15th June 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks Bro I will check them out. I do keep on reading great things about the AE 5400
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Obvious points to keep in mind...

1) You really have to fit the mic to the singer.

2) What sounds great in the showroom may not translate on stage with a loud band.

3) What the salesman suggests might actually be the wrong mic for you.

(Girl comes to gig with her new Shure 87 condenser and tears every ones head off with it.)

And the not so obvious...

4) What may seem like a so so mic might become a keeper if you adjust proximity. (Neumann's live mics come to mind.)

PS. If I had four mics to try out they would be the Beta 58, Neumann condenser, Audix 07 and a Beyer. No matter the singer or situation, at least one of these mics should excel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search