The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A little guitar amp help for a rookie :-)
Old 5th March 2006
Gear Addict

A little guitar amp help for a rookie :-)

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a Randall MTS series amp with the interchangable modules.

My main use for it will be recording, so I figured I go with the cheaper RM20b - and just manually change modeules when I want a new sound.

Now I have stareted thinking about what I am going to do live, and am wondering if I should go for an MTS amp with slots for two modules? I'm really new to amps and playing, so don't know what guitarists use live. Should I go for two channels, so I can have a clean and a dirty channel, using a footswitch? Is there any way to do this with the single module channel RM20?

Thanks!

Shaun
Old 5th March 2006
Gear Addict

OK - I had a look at the Randall website, and I kinda answered my own question - the RM20 has a tube boost footswitch function.

Now, what module should I go for when playing live? Will a clean sounding module sound good and dirty when tube boosted, or would I be better off going for a higher gain module and, backing off the gain for a clean sound.

Any ideas here?

Cheers

Shaun
Old 5th March 2006
Lives for gear

What kind of music? What guitar, etc.

I'd get the Blackface for sure, but that's just me.
Old 5th March 2006
Lives for gear

I would by a fender amp since I'be been told by many slutz here that those are the best.

Also get a tele I have been told those a really the best guitars. I'm selling my 59 les paul to get a tele. Luckily one of the volumn knobs off my burst will by about the price of 3 teles. So I'm getting a few different colors for different sounds.
I just don't know what i'm gonna do with the other $129000

I'm pysched!
Old 6th March 2006
Gear Addict

Hi

It's pop with a rock edge. I'll be getting a custom slightly scaled down Tele soon.

Cheers

Shaun
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

I think its a great choice for felxibility, but it also depends on what poweramp you decide to use. I have a VHT 2-90-2 which is killer. Very tight, fast and plenty loud.
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Addict

Need to resurect this thread to ask a question...

Where can I preview the MTS amp in New York City? They don't have them at most of the stores I've checked around town. Suggestions?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search