The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nana has died - I got 20K Euro - What should I Buy?
Old 6th June 2011
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Nana has died - I got 20K Euro - What should I Buy?

Nana O'Neil passed away 24th May 2011 R.I.P.

Nana loved music, and played the Irish button accordion.

I now have 10K Euro at my disposal.

I'm thinking about getting a U-67, but I'm worried about the condition of second hand U-67s. If I had another 5K, I'd probably bite the bullet on a top of the range Brauner, but I can't justify it with my current budget.

I need to get some serious hardware compressors too. I'd really like two matching 1176's, because I record a lot in stereo. But I need a higher quality LDC. At the moment I've got a Geffel UM-72, and it's pretty good, but I'm looking at something a little more high-end.

So, I need a great LDC, and two high quality (or stereo) hardware compressors, for 10K Euro.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 6th June 2011
  #2
well.. U-67, brauner sound totally different. Gefell is a nother story too.

I could throw in some other brands now, but that's not what you want. if you are gonig for vintage U-67, you should contact Andreas Grosser. he worked 15 years for Neumann Germany in the Service department and is now on his own. he inspects, repairs vintage mics. so you should be able to get a "matching" pair trough him.

what is the main application?

as for compressor, I recommend a pair of Lindell x17.

drop me a pm if I can help you.

cheers
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
Nana O'Neil passed away 24th May 2011 R.I.P.

Nana loved music, and played the Irish button accordion.

I now have 10K Euro at my disposal.

I'm thinking about getting a U-67, but I'm worried about the condition of second hand U-67s. If I had another 5K, I'd probably bite the bullet on a top of the range Brauner, but I can't justify it with my current budget.

I need to get some serious hardware compressors too. I'd really like two matching 1176's, because I record a lot in stereo. But I need a higher quality LDC. At the moment I've got a Geffel UM-72, and it's pretty good, but I'm looking at something a little more high-end.

So, I need a great LDC, and two high quality (or stereo) hardware compressors, for 10K Euro.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 6th June 2011
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
well.. U-67, brauner sound totally different. Gefell is a nother story too.

I could throw in some other brands now, but that's not what you want. if you are gonig for vintage U-67, you should contact Andreas Grosser. he worked 15 years for Neumann Germany in the Service department and is now on his own. he inspects, repairs vintage mics. so you should be able to get a "matching" pair trough him.

what is the main application?

as for compressor, I recommend a pair of Lindell x17.

drop me a pm if I can help you.

cheers
George
Hey thanks George, I appreciate it.

The main application is vocals + a bit of live work as well. I've always taken some of my high end studio gear into the live enviroment now and then. I've got an 8 channel Neve which I use for livesound. People can't believe it when I'm mixing a live show with my Neve. Sounds pretty good!

Anyway, the new LDC microphone would pretty much be used for everything, vox, amps, drums.

I'll look into the Lindell. What's the price on those? (UK).
Old 6th June 2011
  #4
Here for the gear
 

The other thing I didn't mention is that I need close to 10K of the money to pay off debts on the caravan me and my kids are living in. I know it doesn't sound ideal for a family but hey we are comfortable. Things could be a lot worse. I have some other debts as well, but less than 2000 Euro.

My mobile recording kit is getting pretty good now. I've got 2 Yamaha O2Rs and an Allen and Heath 24 channel desk. My mics are probably the weakest link in the chain. I've mostly got Audio Technica dynamics (some are pretty rusty and road worn) and a pair of Rode NT-3s which seem to be ok. Also I've got some Peavey dynamic mics, Rane graphic equilizers.
Old 6th June 2011
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Also, I need to find a new 24 channel multicore, that could be around 300 Euro. I've also got some really budget wireless mics and a 4 channel receiver. I can't even remember what brand they are...
Old 6th June 2011
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Also, I've got a PA I'm trying to get rid of.

2 x concert W bins, 2 x JBL 15" + horn, Crown amps. Or I could keep the PA. Sounds pretty good considering how old and outdated it is.

It's all a bit of a nightmare really. Audio nightmare..
Old 6th June 2011
  #7
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Hi XTC,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

When it comes to legacy money, I feel the most important thing is not to waste it and, in a way, to use it as a memory.

So, spending half to clear yourself of debt and the other half for the music is a great idea. So, I understand you have €20k - €10k to pay off debts and €10k for "stuff"?

Personally I would spend it on something that will last, rather than on a product that will be out of date in a year or two (so a microphone is a great idea) - ideally something that you can imagine your Nana looking at you using and be happy.

If you want a high quality valve (vacuum tube) mic., I think I would look to get something like a FLEA 47.
Old 6th June 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Don't want to piss on the parade but I'd go max 25% on buying yourself something.

If you go 10 on paying off debts and 10 on present, next time you get into 10k debt, you will have to sell 'Nana's' mic, which will suck far more than not having had it at all.
Old 6th June 2011
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Hi XTC,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

When it comes to legacy money, I feel the most important thing is not to waste it and, in a way, to use it as a memory.

So, spending half to clear yourself of debt and the other half for the music is a great idea. So, I understand you have €20k - €10k to pay off debts and €10k for "stuff"?

Personally I would spend it on something that will last, rather than on a product that will be out of date in a year or two (so a microphone is a great idea) - ideally something that you can imagine your Nana looking at you using and be happy.

If you want a high quality valve (vacuum tube) mic., I think I would look to get something like a FLEA 47.
Hey thanks John. Yeh I'm trying figure out a way of not wasting Nana's money and using it as a memory of her. I thought a great microphone might be the way to go. Something that would last for a long time, and be a lasting legacy.
Old 6th June 2011
  #10
Gear Nut
 

If I were you I would spend it on something that will hold its value too.

A U67 in top condition is a thing of real beauty, and you can pretty much guarantee that it will be something you will keep, and if you ever needed to sell it, the value would not be lower than what you paid.
It's also something you could pass on to the next generation as an heirloom.

U67's are easily serviced and parts are readily available, and there's a few good mic techs around that would look after it for you.

Or maybe look out for a top condition C12.
Old 6th June 2011
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Don't want to piss on the parade but I'd go max 25% on buying yourself something.

If you go 10 on paying off debts and 10 on present, next time you get into 10k debt, you will have to sell 'Nana's' mic, which will suck far more than not having had it at all.
I'm pretty sure Nana would want me to go at least 50% on getting something. If I have to sell it in the future, well so be it, I'll try not to think about that as a possibility. As long as I get good use of it in the mean time, that's a lot of good recording time.
Old 6th June 2011
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFace View Post
If I were you I would spend it on something that will hold its value too.

A U67 in top condition is a thing of real beauty, and you can pretty much guarantee that it will be something you will keep, and if you ever needed to sell it, the value would not be lower than what you paid.
It's also something you could pass on to the next generation as an heirloom.

U67's are easily serviced and parts are readily available, and there's a few good mic techs around that would look after it for you.

Or maybe look out for a top condition C12.
Yeh a U-67 in great condition would be fab. If it retains it's value too, a proper family legacy. Does the U-67 use phantom power like a normal condenser?
Old 6th June 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
The other thing I didn't mention is that I need close to 10K of the money to pay off debts on the caravan me and my kids are living in. I know it doesn't sound ideal for a family but hey we are comfortable. Things could be a lot worse. I have some other debts as well, but less than 2000 Euro.

I'm gonna totally revoke my GearSlutz status and offer a suggestion that's so responsible (sic) it borders on the parental:

Put the new windfall towards your retirement, not your recording studio.

I know, I know, that's no fun... But ~40 years from now you'll thank me.
Old 6th June 2011
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'm gonna totally revoke my GearSlutz status and offer a suggestion that's so responsible (sic) it borders on the parental:

Put the new windfall towards your retirement, not your recording studio.

I know, I know, that's no fun... But ~40 years from now you'll thank me.
Well I don't have much. My future's not certain. I get by with my kids in a real basic sort of of way. I haven't got investments for the future. I'm pretty much living day to day. But recording and mixing live music is what I'm into the most. Maybe the gear I'm collecting is a kind of retirement fund. I don't know, I'm a bit conflicted about what to do with this cash I suppose.
Old 6th June 2011
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
Well I don't have much. My future's not certain. I get by with my kids in a real basic sort of of way. I haven't got investments for the future. I'm pretty much living day to day. But recording and mixing live music is what I'm into the most. Maybe the gear I'm collecting is a kind of retirement fund. I don't know, I'm a bit conflicted about what to do with this cash I suppose.
I want to save some for my boys when they get a bit older too. Enough for them to buy a cheap car or some musical equipment for themselves. Sometimes money is a burden. I want a get this gear, but there are other considerations as well.
Old 6th June 2011
  #16
Gear Addict
 
fzit0's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
Well I don't have much. My future's not certain. I get by with my kids in a real basic sort of of way. I haven't got investments for the future. I'm pretty much living day to day. But recording and mixing live music is what I'm into the most. Maybe the gear I'm collecting is a kind of retirement fund. I don't know, I'm a bit conflicted about what to do with this cash I suppose.
Yeah I'd invest at least 1/4th of those 20,000. at least 5,000 into a bond or cd or somethin' . that would get you about 2% or higher interest.
Old 6th June 2011
  #17
Maybe see what Suze Orman thinks? heh
Old 6th June 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
_Ludovico's Avatar
 

Sorry I don't mean to disrespect or to be rude but for god's sake is this true? I wouldn't even think about buying a multi-thousand dollars mic in that guy's situation... can't believe it.
Old 6th June 2011
  #19
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzit0 View Post
Yeah I'd invest at least 1/4th of those 20,000. at least 5,000 into a bond or cd or somethin' . that would get you about 2% or higher interest.
Investing any amount at 2% is not a good idea my man, when inflation is generally at least a healthy 4% tutt
Old 6th June 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 

I only say what I did since I recently came into what my dad left behind. He left me more than you've been left, I spent about 10% of it all in all on:
•*Work-related training;
•*Work-related equipment.
• Driving Lessons.

All 3 are things which will earn me the money back, I was simply using the availability of the money as an 'advance' so I could get into the work quickly.

That is the only way I would use such large gifts of money. I would not buy something that I could not normally afford using a one-off payment, other than things which:
a) I would need to buy anyway, AND
b) Will SAVE / MAKE me money by having sooner rather than later.

Such things include:
•*Training / equipment for work - that will actually make money. That's like, not saying 'A U67 is for work' , that's like 'A rigging harness actually let me start up-rigging and earning the extra money, which I COULD NOT DO without the harness'.
•*Getting a mortgage, rather than paying rent forever
•*Paying off debts in a oner, rather than paying interest forever.

I would honestly suggest you do the same. A U67 is not going to make you, or save you, any money. Use the big cash advance that Nana sent to buy something you need right now, and will cost you if you don't buy now... and then buy luxuries when you can actually afford them.
Old 6th June 2011
  #21
Not to be rude man - living in a caravan, kids...
INVEST IT for the kids future - not yours.

Pay off all debts, invest it and maybe get something middle ground. Will a highend mic really change your client base? Not immediately.

Invest it!
Old 6th June 2011
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
Not to be rude man - living in a caravan, kids...
INVEST IT for the kids future - not yours.

Pay off all debts, invest it and maybe get something middle ground. Will a highend mic really change your client base? Not immediately.

Invest it!
Sorry for your loss.

Agreed! Pay off all the debt and improve the quality of life for the kids. Your recordings will sound a ton better.
Old 6th June 2011
  #23
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
You live in a caravan, where do you record? Why do you want a high end mic?

I assume it's not for clients that you are recording in your caravan?

I don't mean to come across rude. It just that I'm not sure about the placement of your priorities. If I were you I would use the money to make my, and/or my kid's lives better. I don't see how buying an expensive microphone is going to do that.

With an inheritance I also think it's relevant to think what the deceased would have wanted done with the money.

Matt
Old 6th June 2011
  #24
Troll alert! This guy is DrBeat; banned two days ago...!
Old 6th June 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbot View Post
Troll alert! This guy is DrBeat; banned two days ago...!
anyone tell me what DrBeat did? I thought he was alright.
Old 6th June 2011
  #26
Gear Nut
 

I'd save the whole piece of cash.

Buy gear with the money you make recording.
Old 6th June 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
Not to be rude man - living in a caravan, kids...
INVEST IT for the kids future - not yours.
+1
Old 6th June 2011
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Why is everyone down on this guy buying gear with this money?

So what if he lives in a trailer. My advice would be get the U-67 and have it engraved with your Nana's name, and the date she passed away.

That way you'd have a truly unique piece.
Old 6th June 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pultec View Post
So what if he lives in a trailer. My advice would be get the U-67 and have it engraved with your Nana's name, and the date she passed away.

That way you'd have a truly unique piece.
I'm sure it'll capture the acoustic essence of the non-existant caravan really well.
Old 6th June 2011
  #30
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
I'm sure it'll capture the acoustic essence of the non-existant caravan really well.
Are you saying that he'll lose the caravan if he get's the mic?
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Forum Jump
Forum Jump