The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pearlman TM-1 w/ the EF86 tube (67-ish?)
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

Pearlman TM-1 w/ the EF86 tube (67-ish?)

Anyone got one of these? Care to comment?
Old 5th March 2006
Lives for gear

bump
Old 5th March 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

I have a pair of them. Love them. I had a pair of the Soundelux U95s with the ef86 tube. I ended up selling them and really missed them. So I was happy to find out that Dave would put ef86s in his mic. The Pearlman with the ef86 is beautiful, with a great high end and bottom (even great for drum overhead - the omni mode is killer) and fits in a mix well if used on many tracks. The mic can be a little sibilant but that can be taken care of by a good windscreen (make sure it is one where the foam has been tested so as not to leave particles on the diaphram) or with the use of a de-esser or better singing technique than I have.

Now I have not tried a U67. But I imagine if they are older ones, that some sound different than others.

I did have a Peluso with an ef14 tube. But I like the Pearlman with the ef86 better. However, this is subjective and for certain music one would pick the ef14 over the ef86. However, there is such a variety of ef86 tubes available, that many different subtle tones can be achieved - from the clear, clean tele ef86 to a smooth Mullard/GEC to some of the more in your face Phillips/Amperex. (This is a generalization as tubes will vary even among the same manufacturer.)

One thing about the Pearlman - you know Dave (or at least I think you know him and if not, I believe you know James Lugo who knows him - lots of conjecture here!) - Dave will do his best to make you happy.
Old 5th March 2006
Lives for gear

many many thanks! That sounds great. I think that will be the ticket for me.
Old 5th March 2006
Gear Head

Mine was shipped two days ago with an EF14. As I didn’t have a preference he decided it for me.

Here his comments on the two tubes:
“Most people are ordering the EF14 because of the original mic shootout on gearslutz and also because of the closeness to the original U47 tube”

“In the mic circuit the two tubes really sound alike. People have a hard time telling the difference. Dave “

I’m sure I’ll be pleased.
Old 5th March 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

Knowing Dave, I am sure he is right. However, it is hard to have a collection of EF14 tubes while it is fairly easy to have a collection of different ef86 tubes, and that gives me some additional choices. For instance, I found some ef86 tubes I liked better for vocals and others I like better for overheads. But it depends what you are looking for. I like the overheads to be extremely accurate. I like the vocals to be smooth for what I am doing. But this is going to vary. However, as he said, for many people, this may make no difference. And I do not want to convey that these differences between properly operating ef86 tubes are drastic, they are subtle and you have to listen well, but they are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galli
Mine was shipped two days ago with an EF14. As I didn’t have a preference he decided it for me.

Here his comments on the two tubes:
“Most people are ordering the EF14 because of the original mic shootout on gearslutz and also because of the closeness to the original U47 tube”

“In the mic circuit the two tubes really sound alike. People have a hard time telling the difference. Dave “

I’m sure I’ll be pleased.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

mine hasn't shipped, but i placed an order for the pearlman with an ef86 tube.
i chose that tube because some people here seem to like them more. i don't own a tube mic, so i don't have a preference, yet.

AB, you said that the ef14 tubes sound better for some types of music. do you mean that it's brighter with the ef14's?

i was initially worried that you said this mic is sibilant, but my portico tends to round off sibilant souns very well, so that may be a non-issue.
Old 6th March 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

The only mic I tried with the ef14 is the Peluso which is not a fair comparison. Dave can answer this question better. But there are more variations when you have the ef86 mount in terms of tube choices. The sibilence is not a big issue. But it certainly can be more sibilent, than a dark mic like the Soundelux e49.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz
mine hasn't shipped, but i placed an order for the pearlman with an ef86 tube.
i chose that tube because some people here seem to like them more. i don't own a tube mic, so i don't have a preference, yet.

AB, you said that the ef14 tubes sound better for some types of music. do you mean that it's brighter with the ef14's?

i was initially worried that you said this mic is sibilant, but my portico tends to round off sibilant souns very well, so that may be a non-issue.
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

I also have the EF86 tube in my Pearlman. He chose it for me when I told him I have a sibilant voice. He said an 86 tube should sound a little smoother overall. I have the Mullard tube.
It sounds great, but I do have to use the dark switch for my vocals. My chain is the TM-1, LA3A (original), portico. With the dark switch its perfect and no deessing is needed.

It doesn't sound at all like a U-67. I like it WAY better. I tried 2 67s through my Portico. They were smooth, but just didn't have the presence or size I was looking for. The TM-1 is voiced for a fuller low end that kills for vox.
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

awesome!!!

thanks, thermos!!!

that's exactly what i was wondering about.
Did Dave ship you the mic with the mullard tube in it already...or did you replace the tube it came with?

hey, our vocal chains are very similar.

Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

He shipped it with that tube. He has a crapload of tubes available, just ask him what he has. I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with how the mic sounds given the pricepoint. For me on my voice it beat out an 87, (old one, pre revision) 2 67s, an AKG 414 eb and B-ULS with the Jim Williams mod, Soundelux U-195, and I liked it as much as the Manley Reference Gold. The only mic I liked better on my vox was a Brauner VMA, but its like 8K.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search