The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using AT871R for kick drum?
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Head

Using AT871R for kick drum?

Hi, is it possible to use AT871R ( http://www.eu.audio-technica.com/en/...3e5_at871r.pdf ) in live setting for kick drum? It's the only mic I have laying around now...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi,
I just saw your 2011 post about using an AT871R as in inside kick mic. Did you ever try it? How did it work for you?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

That's funny you ask, I just ordered an 871r for kick (haven't gotten it yet). My inside kick mic of choice at the moment is an 851r, and I wanted to try the 871 since it has more low end. It also has less SPL handling than the 851 though, and the 851 actually clips inside the kick (mic clips, not preamp). I just happen to like the sound of the mic ****ting out inside the kick I guess lol. The 871r might clip too much, but they are cheap on eBay so worth a shot. Curious to hear what you think.

Edit: I have to mention that I always pair it with a mic in front of the kick, not just itself in isolation. I never really liked the sound of any 1 mic inside the kick alone and I've tried a bunch of different ones, but the PZM for some reason is working for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search