The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Electric GTRs in the Control Room
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Hi all- we are looking to set up our control room where we can have the GTR heads here with us in the CR- and the cabs in the tracking room- and be able to patch the different heads to the different cabs.

Can anyone recommend patchbays or switchboxes that would help consolidate things for ease of swapping and keeping impedances proper as needed?

If anyone has set up something like this and can recommend the right kind of patchbays, cables, etc we would really appreciate it (especially since I'm a drummer

Many thanks!
Old 3rd June 2011
Check out Custom Audio Electronics - if they don't make what you need they can probably build it for you.
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

If the signal is muted there is no problem doing this with a conventional patch bay. But don't do it with a live signal for a/b comparisons. Especially running a head into output stage distortion.

Radial makes some speaker level switching devices that are safe. At least I've read posts by folks like Randall Aiken or Doug Roccaforte saying so. The Tonebone was the only thing they recommended unless you have some custom Bradshaw/Suhr box.

Speaking as a mostly performing guitarist (as opposed to studio rat living in cans) I really hate this practice. If the musician has any sort of tone production chops, being disconnected from their rig breaks the aural feedback loop they've developed over the years.
The hardest thing I've ever had to do was this little Cornell Dupree sliding thing I'd worked out for a fellow I know Johnny Fabulous. All the rest of the guitar on the album is Chris Cain or John Wedemeyer, but he liked this little funky back and forth thing I was able to pull off. It was hard to do as you had to wiggle the strings just so to keep it going. He couldn't understand why I had so much trouble doing it while my amp was in the control room and I was trying to feel the sustain listening to my guitar buried in the mix through NS10s.
Old 3rd June 2011
Where I work we do this a lot. There is speaker lines built in to the troths that come up on a wall panel in the CR and wall panels in the LR. For switching I would recommend the Little Labs PCP. Personally I would not use a regular patch bay as mentioned, that just sounds like an accident waiting to happen. We also have a custom built switcher that we will use with the PCP to give us even more options.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search