The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you're a new artist making an EP, should the quality...
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Addict

If you're a new artist making an EP, should the quality...

...of the recordings be THE BEST? I'm recording/mixing/mastering an EP to launch my solo career. I'm a pop artist (think John Mayer, Bruno Mars, David Ryan Harris kind of music). My "marketing strategy" will go like this:

-Finish EP (6 songs plus 2 "bonus tracks" as a gift)

-Upload album FOR FREE for the first month on my artist website. (Album will be available through iTunes from the first day also.

-Take single to radio stations and get air play (this isn't too hard because in my country, dominican republic, I know a lot of people in the media so I can get decent airplay)

-Have an "album launch party" with an acoustic solo performance.

now, keep in mind I'm not sign, I don't have management, I'm doing ALL THIS myself. I recorded everything in my home studio with Superior Drummer, Logic, Metric Halo ULN-2 Expanded and high quality instruments and decent mics (AT4040, MD421, SM57, etc)

now..... here's my question..... do you think it's ok to deliver the album with an 80% quality? (being a full on professional album). I think my EP will end up sounding very very good, but not close to perfection..... I think the quality of the songs if high, arrangement wise...do you think people will notice that instead of noticing a not so professional sounding album?

I made a jingle a few months ago with the same gear and ended up on the radio, and people dug it a lot, no bad comments on the quality of the recording, but this time around I'll be marketing this and "selling it" on itunes and stuff.....

I guess I'm just a bit worried.
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Addict

I wish I had more money to go to a big studio and at least have real drums played by a real drummer, but honestly I don't have the money (I had to buy some stuff for my future gigs, plus website design, photo shoot, etc), and I don't have the time to start all over again. I just wanna get my stuff out there and start letting people listen to it and play live.

Hell John Mayer and those guys started playing solo acoustic shows and his first demo was an acoustic album....... that got him a lot of attention...
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytpg View Post
I wish I had more money to go to a big studio and at least have real drums played by a real drummer, but honestly I don't have the money (I had to buy some stuff for my future gigs, plus website design, photo shoot, etc), and I don't have the time to start all over again. I just wanna get my stuff out there and start letting people listen to it and play live.

Hell John Mayer and those guys started playing solo acoustic shows and his first demo was an acoustic album....... that got him a lot of attention...
You have to do the best you can (including making friends, that will help you along the way. Never forget them tho). If you wish to live the dream, then you HAVE to get there any way you can...Best wishes heh
Old 3rd June 2011
Quote:
I wish I had more money to go to a big studio and at least have real drums played by a real drummer, but honestly I don't have the money
Do you feel strong enough about your music and potential to seek out an investor?
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Addict

that's what I've been thinking you know....... how long can you keep "woking on something" to make it BETTER and BETTER? when is it ENOUGH? a musician's goal is to get his/her music out there not to have the best freaking sounding album out there (at least at first)

I just wanna get my **** out there and get it going........
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
that's what I've been thinking you know....... how long can you keep "woking on something" to make it BETTER and BETTER? when is it ENOUGH? a musician's goal is to get his/her music out there not to have the best freaking sounding album out there (at least at first)

I just wanna get my **** out there and get it going........
Get it out there!!!!!!
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah get it done. Easily said. Tough haul even to get an acceptable result.

Your doing everything and that might sound feasible but its a long road even if you know what your doing all the way.

I presume your songs are ready to record. I'd concentrate on recording them. Put your time and money into the recording chain.

You could post the tracks for mixing up here as they are done. You never know who or what they might be willing to put your tracks thru.

Maybe the same for getting it Mastered but well worth the money if your product is good.

If only you are involved only you. The more persons in the industry are involved in a Project the more chance it has.
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksdingo View Post
Yeah get it done. Easily said. Tough haul even to get an acceptable result.

Your doing everything and that might sound feasible but its a long road even if you know what your doing all the way.

I presume your songs are ready to record. I'd concentrate on recording them. Put your time and money into the recording chain.

You could post the tracks for mixing up here as they are done. You never know who or what they might be willing to put your tracks thru.

Maybe the same for getting it Mastered but well worth the money if your product is good.

If only you are involved only you. The more persons in the industry are involved in a Project the more chance it has.
Understanding how a compressor works (like, when to use one), should be your sig...lol

To the OP: Build your confidence in yourself...Get others to listen to what you have done...and Ride the wave...When the tide is on the turn, time to wash and wax down your board...heh
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Maniac

I believe that quality is important even for an EP. In my genre it's hard enough to get people to listen to unsigned artists and having sub-par quality gives them more reason to ignore. So do your best. 80% is pretty good tho.

Try this. Let some people (that dont know your an artist ) hear the song and if they think it's a commercial song(something that could be played on the radio) then your good. That always works for me. It's also funny when people try to guess who the artist is. Everyone I ask always guesses LiL Wayne. Lol
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsgrandzbaby View Post
I believe that quality is important even for an EP. In my genre it's hard enough to get people to listen to unsigned artists and having sub-par quality gives them more reason to ignore. So do your best. 80% is pretty good tho.

Try this. Let some people (that dont know your an artist ) hear the song and if they think it's a commercial song(something that could be played on the radio) then your good. That always works for me. It's also funny when people try to guess who the artist is. Everyone I ask always guesses LiL Wayne. Lol
He writes some good tracks, so if you are close to his work, then sell sell sell...

Goin out on the street with cd's for sale can bring in the dollar..heh
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
..... I think the quality of the songs if high, arrangement wise...do you think people will notice that instead of noticing a not so professional sounding album?
This is the key. If anyone is interested it will be based on your songs. If you're writing "great" songs the quality of your EP is less important. Also a great or unique voice always helps!

Although, these days, your chances increase dramatically if you have a releasable product at the outset.

Best of luck!
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Great songs and great performanceare much more important than recording quality.

a.) practice until you think you can't practice any more. Then practice some more.

b.) realize that when you're just starting out, people understand that you're not going to track at <insertfamousestudio>. Less than great quality is OK - but you need to at least save up for something you can be proud of and confident in. In other words, never make excuses for the sound quality.

c.) I am old but I have seen many people try to make it. Those that have made it are not more talented than anyone else - they just have good business sense and are hard workers. They make the phone calls, they network....the whole mystery/reclusive artist thing doesn't work. So be prepared to work hard and do things you'd rather not do--because that can be the difference.

d.) and perhaps most importantly: understand that external validation is great (making it big) but you should be happy making music regardless of the audience. You really have to love making music. If you do it just for the fame, you'll be miserable regardless of what happens.

my 2 cents

Good luck
Old 3rd June 2011
who's to say what "professional" quality is?

There's been plenty of released demos.

There's plenty of less than stellar sounding albums that become classics.

Admittedly in pop, things tend to be a bit more polished than some rock/rap genres, but there's still plenty of less than perfect tracks that become hits.

I wouldn't worry about it personally.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search