The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JJ 'Greyhound' anyone have one?
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

JJ 'Greyhound' anyone have one?

Just wondering how it sounds, particularly the basic $400 model.
thanks
JN
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

bump
Old 3rd June 2011
What even is it? The only JJ I know of makes tubes. If you are talking about a $400 tube, I'd say unless you already have gold plated toilets, I wouldn't spend that money on one.
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Its not a tumor!

I think he's referring to the JJ Audio Mics Greyhound.

Its a modded V67G that we install the U87 circuit into.

Front End Audio sells them and you can obtain them direct from us as well.

I will leave the commentary on the mic's sound good or bad to the users at Gearslutz.

PS What up Dean! How you been?

Peace
Illumination
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John N View Post
Just wondering how it sounds, particularly the basic $400 model.
thanks
JN
Hey John...I've got one of the original JJ Audio Greyhound modded V67G, with original stock capsule and tranny...sounds great!...very balanced, with a clean, clear top-end, solid mids and a nice tight low-end...definately in the U87 ballpark...sweet mic!...one of my very few "keeper" non-tube LDC mics...

...JJ Audio's Studio Projects C1 FET mod is also quite impressive from the clips I've heard...
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
Hey John...I've got one of the original JJ Audio Greyhound modded V67G, with original stock capsule and tranny...sounds great!...very balanced, with a clean, clear top-end, solid mids and a nice tight low-end...definately in the U87 ballpark...sweet mic!...one of my very few "keeper" non-tube LDC mics...

...JJ Audio's Studio Projects C1 FET mod is also quite impressive from the clips I've heard...
Hey kidvybes, thanks! You steered me right on the Stellar CM-6! Still looking for affordable but high quality vocal mics to round out the locker. Does the Greyhound offer something different than the CM-6 or the AA CM12?
And also is it significantly better than the stock V67?

Thanks
JN
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey kidvybes, thanks! You steered me right on the Stellar CM-6! Still looking for affordable but high quality vocal mics to round out the locker. Does the Greyhound offer something different than the CM-6 or the AA CM12?
And also is it significantly better than the stock V67?

Thanks
JN
...I actually ran performance graphs comparing the CM-6 and the Greyhound:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6118846-post4.html

...while they don't sound identical, their performance is somewhat similar to a degree...and yes, I think the modded version sounds quite a bit better than the stock V67G...

...what I would suggest is discussing your needs directly with Jim/Langston since most of these mods have variables that allow for specific voicing needs...Jim is very familiar with the CM-6, so he can address the similarities and possible options...
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...I actually ran performance graphs comparing the CM-6 and the Greyhound:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6118846-post4.html

...while they don't sound identical, their performance is somewhat similar to a degree...and yes, I think the modded version sounds quite a bit better than the stock V67G...

...what I would suggest is discussing your needs directly with Jim/Langston since most of these mods have variables that allow for specific voicing needs...Jim is very familiar with the CM-6, so he can address the similarities and possible options...
Good idea to discuss with JJ folks - but... if you had to put into words the difference between the 2 what would you say?

Your graph makes it appear that the CM-6 is brighter. One thing about a non-tube mic is that the Lo-Z option is then available on my GAP 73... whereas it does nothing for a tube mic.

Thanks
John
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good idea to discuss with JJ folks - but... if you had to put into words the difference between the 2 what would you say?

Your graph makes it appear that the CM-6 is brighter. One thing about a non-tube mic is that the Lo-Z option is then available on my GAP 73... whereas it does nothing for a tube mic.

Thanks
John
Just to interject if you're referring to the Hi-Z switch on the GAP73 then it should have the same effect on the sound of various microphones as does the 1073.

We've run our 251 into the BAE 1073 at 300 ohms vs 1200 ohms and they sound quite different. The K2 as well has different results with the switching from 300 to 1200.

I have a customer who has the Greyhound and the stock GAP73. I can get him to join the thread regarding the GAP73s impedance switches and the Greyhound.

Or perhaps kidvybes can interject

Peace
Illumination
Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Just to interject if you're referring to the Hi-Z switch on the GAP73 then it should have the same effect on the sound of various microphones as does the 1073.

We've run our 251 into the BAE 1073 at 300 ohms vs 1200 ohms and they sound quite different. The K2 as well has different results with the switching from 300 to 1200.

I have a customer who has the Greyhound and the stock GAP73. I can get him to join the thread regarding the GAP73s impedance switches and the Greyhound.

Or perhaps kidvybes can interject

Peace
Illumination
I'll have to give my CM-6 and AA CM12 another test in the GAP with the impedance button. If there is any difference it is very subtle - whereas with my non-tube mics it is much more noticeable.

jn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search