The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler TG-1 Abbey Road Limiter / Compressor
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

Can someone descirbe the sounds of the following compressor. Is it punchy. Warm, SMooth, Lack of bass. Bright etc. And what kind of music each is appropraite for for the 2bus

Manley Vari-Mu

Cranesong STC-8

Pendulum ES8

Alan Smart C2

Thanks for the help
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

ES 8

I use the ES 8 frequently. It can be very effective as an invisible compressor/limiter. Which is how I usually use it. Occasionally, I will push it really hard and it does the job. I certainly lust for all of the compressors that you mentioned.

I would recommend that you talk to your regular dealer and have three sent to you on the agreement that you definately keep one of the three. The only problem if you are like me you will keep all three.
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

Does the STC have any punch like the SSL 384 or Smart C2. I know everyon says it's great and transparent but does it have that punch that can make a kick have more balls?
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionmax
Great as an effect. Especially on drum room mics. WAY better in Hardware form then Plugin. Not my idea for 2-mix compression (I would prefer Chandlers LTD-1 for that, if we are talking Chandler)

Quote:
Manley Vari-Mu
Great buss compressor for background vocals, to flubby in the bottom for 2-mix IMO, YMMV.

Quote:
Cranesong STC-8
Great 2-mix compressor, I just didn't like its colour that much, but I see why others do.

Quote:
Pendulum ES8
The cat's pajamas for Guitar buss. Great for 2-mix too, one of my favorite compressors.

Quote:
Alan Smart C2
RNR machine. Great 2-mix comp.

How about: SSL? DBX? Thermionic Culture Phoenix? Atomic Squeezebox? 33609? Red 3? So many to choose from
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

tg1 is great for tracking AG as well as drum room mics. you can't be afraid of it- slow down the release, and get about 4db of compression and you get an incredible, very present, dimensional guitar sound. i've also mixed vox with it and a purple in series. puts it right there. does have a small sweet spot that you have to fine tune.

ssl- well, that's been talked about to death. but a great box as well- also has a small sweet spot.

david lawrence
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

In peoples experiences, is the Phoenix a good all around stereo buss compressor?
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Maniac

I have the TG1 and the STC-8.

The Chandler is warmer by quite a bit and the STC-8 is cleaner. There are things about both that I like a lot. You can get a much faster attack (punch) out of the STC-8 but the TG1 pumps harder and has more character. The TG1 has an excellent sound when you overdrive the input and you can't get out of the STC-8. Again, both are excellent but overall I would say the STC-8 is more versitale...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search