The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what preamp should I get? working w/ logic 9/ mac pro
Old 2nd June 2011
Here for the gear

what preamp should I get? working w/ logic 9/ mac pro

So I recently upgraded from a macbook to a macpro...you can only imagine that I ran out of room on the macbook. I have an apogee duet (not the new one, the older version) which does not work with my new computer. (i was thinking about upgrading to a new preamp either way)
I've heard good things about the rme fireface 800/400, but I've also heard good things about apogee preamps, though I did have some problems with my duet :/ Out of alll the preamps you guys know of, which one would you recommend? (under $2,000)
I do mostly acoustic stuff, covers for youtube, all that stuff. I need a preamp that will do well on all levels including acoustic guitar, vocals, and electric
thanks!

also have been looking at the API A2D preamp
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

API A2D is a very fine unit, especially if your expanding your channels.

If you want to get your hands deep in check out

DIY Mic Preamp Kits - Seventh Circle Audio

I just started building these. These are awesome DIY kits. The A12 is an api clone. They are incredible sounding units. And you learn a lot by doing it. If you dont want the work of building it, you can order it assembled or go for the api
Old 2nd June 2011
The A2D that you mentioned is a good character pre. It has transformer character, a sense of attack with transients, weight in the low frequencies and a relatively relaxed high frequency presentation (pretty standard classic transformer based sounding stuff). It does push the mids a bit forward in a way that a lot of people really like, but it's not good on everything, I suppose no preamp is perfect for everything.

But,

If you're looking for a pre that will give you the most flexibility and the capacity to do truly clean amplification when needed it's probably not a good idea to settle on a classic, transformer based design (though many people do, I simply don't agree with them). If I were in your position I would lean towards clean style preamps, because you can do character in the mix, but once you've tracked character in, you can't undo it and get truly clean in the mix (whether or not that matters to you only you would know).

An interesting design that has recently hit the market is the Dave Hill Europa 1. Dave Hill does flexible, high quality gear that can actually do clean and characterful quite well. You might look into it.
Old 2nd June 2011
Gear Addict

Why would you say that the Duet won't work on the MacPro?
Old 3rd June 2011
Here for the gear

It basically just stopped working, there's something wrong with it. It's not under warrantee either. I was looking for a new preamp anyways with more imputs and just upgrading really
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

the Metric Halo ULN-2 could be a good option for you... or mh 2882 if you want more channels.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search