The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Smyth Research Anyone?
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Smyth Research Anyone?

Home

I'm wondering if anyone is starting to see this system being used by Audio Professionals?

I had a chance to test it out a few months back, with a group of other people, so it wasn't just me. I was pretty blown away. For those who don't know a thing about them, they make a headphone monitoring system that emulates the sound of loudspeakers in a mixing room, and will capture that sound for use in mixing projects after you leave the nice mixing room. You can literally rent a top notch mix room for an hour, capture the sound of the mix environment and then take it with you anywhere on a pair of headphones. Aside from the fact that you are wearing headphones, there should be no difference between what your ears were hearing in the mix room, and what you are now hearing through the phones.

We had a few "golden ears" in the room at the time, and these guys were looking amazed by the results. We were listening through playback on the wall mounted speakers, and then drooping the phones on. Then taking them off, then putting them right back on. I couldn't hear a difference when taking them on and off. Two of the "golden ears" said there was a slight bit of extra highs, but very minor.

I'm not trying to get anyone fired up over this. I know it's not a perfect solution, and there are all kinds of issues that make this anything but a seamless product. But we all gotta admit, its pretty damn cool.

Anyone seeing these systems being used out there?
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Guru

Seen it - very impressed - but not using it yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search