The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommended UPS for Studio
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Head

Recommended UPS for Studio

I recently purchased an APC 550 UPS Battery Back-UPS for my studio to protect my computer, interface, and a few other peripheral devices in the event of a power outage.

Unfortunately this UPS outputs noise in my studio monitors. I'm positive it's the UPS b/c the noise goes away when I unplug the device from my power conditioner. Also there is a written notice on the UPS itself that reads:
"The output of this device is not sinusoidal. It has a total harmonic distortion of 45% and a maximum single harmonic of 35%." This doesn't sound very encouraging.

I plan to return this UPS and purchase a new one that won't output any noise into my setup. What kinds of silent UPSs do all of you use in your studios? Will one with a sinusoidal output (like this?: SMART1000LCD - Smart LCD 1000VA Tower Line-Interactive 120V UPS with LCD display and USB port) ensure no noise gets picked up in my monitors and throughout my setup?

Thank you very much for your input.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooby View Post
I recently purchased an APC 550 UPS Battery Back-UPS for my studio to protect my computer, interface, and a few other peripheral devices in the event of a power outage.

Unfortunately this UPS outputs noise in my studio monitors. I'm positive it's the UPS b/c the noise goes away when I unplug the device from my power conditioner. Also there is a written notice on the UPS itself that reads:
"The output of this device is not sinusoidal. It has a total harmonic distortion of 45% and a maximum single harmonic of 35%." This doesn't sound very encouraging.

I plan to return this UPS and purchase a new one that won't output any noise into my setup. What kinds of silent UPSs do all of you use in your studios? Will one with a sinusoidal output (like this?: SMART1000LCD - Smart LCD 1000VA Tower Line-Interactive 120V UPS with LCD display and USB port) ensure no noise gets picked up in my monitors and throughout my setup?

Thank you very much for your input.
apc surta 1500xl rm
has 3% thd.

ps audio power plant premiere has 0.6% thd
accuphase ps-1210 has <0.22%
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
apc surta 1500xl rm
has 3% thd.

ps audio power plant premiere has 0.6% thd
accuphase ps-1210 has <0.22%
Thank you for this info. These look great but are out of my price range at the moment – definitely something to work up to in the future.

Does anyone use/know of a UPS with similar performance & low noise abilities as these, but in a lower-end price range (<$1000)?
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Furman UPS

I have an older Furman BP 1000 that does a great job, but it's no longer made. Their newer units are probably just as good. I see the F 1000's on eBay for less than $1000.
Old 2nd June 2011
Deleted User
I have an APC XS1500, works great. Got it at Best Buy.
Old 2nd June 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for these great tips everybody. I'll look into the F 1000 & the APC XS1500. Any thoughts/personal experience with this?:
Amazon.com: CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD UPS 1350VA 810W PFC Compatible Pure Sine Wave: Electronics

Can anyone confirm whether or not a sinusoidal output from a UPS would ensure no harmonic distortion & noise would radiate into a typical studio setup & its monitors?

Thanks for all the great advice so far!
Old 3rd June 2011
8ok
Gear Head

in the same boat...

looking for a silent ups for home studio that won't wreak havoc with noise (though i can surely stand more then a pro studio would)

Also - would it be a problem to have my monitors on the same ups/outlet as my computer?

Setup (that I would want to battery for):
macbook pro 15" (2011)
Focal solo6's
002r
ext drives
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Sweetwater sells the F-1000

Furman F1000-UPS | Sweetwater.com
Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

it is my belief that the UPS only outputs that bad harmonic distortion when running on batteries, it doesnt actually re convert ac power all the time....
i have the same UPS in my studio and notice no noise.... the power is actually kinda limited and i can only expect about 2-5 minutes worth with everything turned on... but that is enough time for me to save and shut down...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search