The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pitch-shifting & headphones
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Pitch-shifting & headphones

I admit that the title can be misleading...

I am actually referring to the fact where whenever(while listening to headphones)a song fades out it seems like it's gradually down-shifting by approximately 50 cents to about half a semitone.If you don't wanna wait for a fade out mimic it yourselves by slowly lowering the volume of the cans.

I know it has to do with psychoacoustics but can anyone elaborate on this?
Old 1st June 2011
never heard of this or experienced it myself
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcreeves View Post
never heard of this or experienced it myself
Could be down to MY psychoacoustics.Perhaps it's something i, for some reason, am experiencing.Can't say it's a fact but it keeps happening to me since the day i started using headphones, some 23 years ago.If anyone else has taken the same route i'd love to know.

Thank you for your response though.If more people keep saying the same thing you're saying, at least i'll know for sure it's not a fact...
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

There's something in this paper on page 76 that suggests we might hear a softer sound as being at a higher pitch.... which is the opposite of what you describe, but may well be related....? Sorry I tried to do some searching but it's a tough thing to come up with a search string for...

But the idea that pitch can be messed up somewhat by the level at which it's perceived, especially in cans, is something I've heard before...

http://mue.music.miami.edu/thesis/Ar...ian_Thesis.pdf
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Pitch has always sounded higher in headphones to me.

My completely unsubstantiated reasoning for this is that air within the ear is under higher pressure when you start pumping music to it in an enclosed "system" like a pair of headphones.

In a doppler effect way the higher pressure within a pair of headphones results in a higher relative pitch to sounds outside the headphones.

I am completely guessing though. Hopefully someone with some "actual" knowledge can "pitch" in. heh
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
Pitch has always sounded higher in headphones to me.

My completely unsubstantiated reasoning for this is that air within the ear is under higher pressure when you start pumping music to it in an enclosed "system" like a pair of headphones.

In a doppler effect way the higher pressure within a pair of headphones results in a higher relative pitch to sounds outside the headphones.
Would it stand to reason, then, that open-back headphones might reduce the pressure, thereby reducing this tendency?

Andrew
Old 1st June 2011
It's a reasonably well known problem - same thing that causes singers to get pitchy if their IEM are too loud ...

I notice it fairly often with loud bass notes in headphones - the low notes can seem almost a semitone sharp, unless there are some strong harmonics.

As I understand it - there are sensory hair cells in our inner ear that respond to pitch. If the pressure is excessive, adjacent hair cells also get stimulated so we get confused about the pitch.

This is a warning: you are monitoring too loud. You can damage your hearing, so don't do this. Headphones are a killer - ask Pete Townshend. Or the millions of iPod wearers who have damaged their hearing.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Thanx to all of you for your replies.My guess is Kiwi is right.Those tiny hairs in the inner part of the ear can get easily disturbed.It's a fact.

rcb4t2:no need to apologize!I value the effort everyone puts into whenever he/she gives a damn about a certain post.

Cheerz to all!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search