The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendation fo audio interface and microphone...
Old 31st May 2011
Here for the gear

Recommendation fo audio interface and microphone...

Hey guys,

I am looking for advice from you on what is best for my needs.
I want to buy microphone which will be used only for vocals(preferably condenser) and interface with good quality mic preamps.

I was looking at rode nt2 ,akg c414, audio-technica 4047.I managed to get a good deal on the old c414 but i don't know what the quality is.

For the interface i was looking at the focusrite stuff.
And do i need rme fireface 800 for this setup.I am going to use only one mic and two monitors.Nothing else will be connected.I know it has a killer pre amps but for my kind of setup can i go with anything cheaper with good preamps?
Thank you
Old 31st May 2011
what's your budget for an interface?
the c414 is a great value and a fine workhorse with all the patterns it offers.
you should look into yamaha/steinberg mr816. it has one of the best converters and preamps for the money.

good luck!
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Maniac

Apogee duet
TLM 102
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
what's your budget for an interface?
the c414 is a great value and a fine workhorse with all the patterns it offers.
you should look into yamaha/steinberg mr816. it has one of the best converters and preamps for the money.

good luck!
+1 on the mr816x . It's a very nice sounding and reliable interface.
Old 1st June 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks guys...

The budget is about 1500$.But if i can go lower it would be great because the next purchase will be Adam A7x.Right now my gear is m-audio 2496 and m-audio bx8a deluxe.I am into recording now and this is why i am upgrading.

I was looking at focusrite scarlett.I read good reviews about the preamps.If any of you have any experience with it it would be appreciated if you share.Also i am going to do a research on the gear you mentioned.

Cheers
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrawk View Post
Apogee duet
TLM 102
I second that!!!
Old 1st June 2011
Here for the gear

I forgot to say i am using windows 7 64 bit...Is the duet aimed at mac users?The steinberg interface looks great but i don't need 8 preamps.But i am considering it since you say they are good.How are they compared to the duet?
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

For the mic - if you want to save a bit money - I can recommend Shure SM7b.
Damn ugly microphone but I gave it a try and never looked back, especially recommended if there's no vocal booth available.

Don't know about it going to an audio interface directly though - I use it over a Great River ME1NV.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Addict
As far as i know the Duet is Mac only.

The many inputs can get handy. If you for example want to try different mics
to see which is best, you can easily set them all up..
Old 1st June 2011
Here for the gear

What about Focusrite Scarlett?Does it compare to the gear mentioned above?Also i think the Duet is Mac so i am considering the other option.Any other suggestions?I heard some demos of the tlm 102.From what i've heard it doesn't have harsh low end and works great on deep voices.My voice is not deep so i hope it will work fine with me.I don't have the chance to try it out.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

If you need something for windows, i would go with the RME babyface
Old 1st June 2011
Here for the gear

Babyface has only one knob.It doesn't seem that convenient but i don't have any experience with it anyway so i will look more into it.
Old 1st June 2011
PMF
Gear Maniac
All RME mic pre's are good IMHO.... depends on what kind of interface... either USB, Firewire or ADAT or even just a simple QuadMic. I find the RME mic Pre's sound really "clean".

Mic's:
Neumann TLM102
Audiotechnica AT4033
Shure SM7B

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search