The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking to buy a Pre-Amp for recording Heavy Metal
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Addict

Looking to buy a Pre-Amp for recording Heavy Metal

Hello, I'm looking to burn money for my studio and I want to get awesome pres for recording Gtr, I record a lot of heavy Gtr. Just wondering if any one has used or has great sounding pres. Price is not a issue, was looking into API and SSL.
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Maniac

So you are looking for a pre to run a mic'd cabinet signal through for distorted guitars? correct?
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear

Neve 1073....get 2.
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Maniac

^hard to beat that recommendation. A Vintech model 273 would be a great investment, ~$1,800 for 2 channels. What kind of sound are you wanting though? And what is your mic selection? Are you wanting something super colored and/or warm to add some phatness? Or do you want something that bites? The Germanium pre has a knack for making even single note rhythms sound super thick (YouTube - ‪The Opposed - "Mr. Optimist"‬‏ all guitars recorded through a germanium, not sure what mics/cabs) Or something that you can really tweak between solid state and tube for the right sound like a UA twin-finity? I've learned that with super distorted guitars there is no "go-to" solution for GREAT tone. If you can't get a really good tone just from experimenting with different mics and placements, no preamp will solve that. But if you are happy with your guitar sounds and just want to give them that defining tone to take them to the next level, a 1073 based pre is hard to beat.
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Addict

Ok so set up is the mic Pre from a 003 factory, most of the time 2 mics one 57 and the other 421. Using rather a (87) 5150 or (95) duel rect. Cab is a Mesa standard. I'm looking to just get a full warm sound. I know some metal bands use SSL but if I had to say a sound not so much the style would be. Coal Chamber, Canabel Corps, Soulfly, just a idea of what I'm doing.
Old 31st May 2011
I'd look for a pre that had high headroom and could do relatively clean.

I wouldn't exclusively use a 1073. I might use one on the close mic-ed drums and bass guitar and maybe the vocal (depending). But really if you're looking for a pre to do anything you just need one that works and that doesn't add too much crap to the sound.

It's not the pre that's going to even get you close to the sound you want, so ultimately thinking in terms of "a pre for metal" or "a pre for jazz" or whatever is irrational. They don't make preamps for genres of music.
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Addict

Well after some time of reading and web surfing I'm stuck with ether going with the API 500 series or SSL 9000 xracks.
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear

Perhaps you should reconsider.

I have an API 3124, an A-Designs MP2 and 10 channels of Aurora Audio pres (A GTQ2 and GTP8); I find the GTP8 most useful for heavily distorted guitar.
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear

Neve +1
Old 1st June 2011
Chandler Germanium.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Maniac

I like API 3124 or focusrite 428 I have neves but they can be too muddy for technical stuff....the 473 from vintech is nice too but can be thin.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry, don't mean to pick on you, but I was thinking of this not long before I saw this thread.

Unless you're talking about instruments & their accoutrements (amps, pedals, etc.) asking "what <piece of gear> is best for <type of music> is just about the most meaningless question one can ask. The frikkin' gear doesn't KNOW or CARE what kind of music you're playing. It might be a little useful to ask what kind of gear to avoid for certain genres - if only because some styles are played incredibly loud, and there are a few pieces of gear that don't deal too elegantly with overly loud sources (& conversely some gear is too noisy for quiet sources).

You can even research what gear was used on your favorite albums in the genre in question, but you are unlikely to find any consensus - and more importantly, you aren't recording the same band in the same room with the same songs as whoever you researched.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but what goes down in front of the microphone is far more important than which mic it is, or anything downstream of it.

Really

Scott
Old 1st June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitMus View Post
Sorry, don't mean to pick on you, but I was thinking of this not long before I saw this thread.

Unless you're talking about instruments & their accoutrements (amps, pedals, etc.) asking "what <piece of gear> is best for <type of music> is just about the most meaningless question one can ask. The frikkin' gear doesn't KNOW or CARE what kind of music you're playing. It might be a little useful to ask what kind of gear to avoid for certain genres - if only because some styles are played incredibly loud, and there are a few pieces of gear that don't deal too elegantly with overly loud sources (& conversely some gear is too noisy for quiet sources).

You can even research what gear was used on your favorite albums in the genre in question, but you are unlikely to find any consensus - and more importantly, you aren't recording the same band in the same room with the same songs as whoever you researched.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but what goes down in front of the microphone is far more important than which mic it is, or anything downstream of it.

Really

Scott
Although I do agree with you, I think it's a valid question. In my opinion, heavy, high gain guitars are one application where I've always thought the preamp in question had a substantial impact on the tone - tracking a wall of distorted guitars with APIs will yield a noticeably different sonic footprint than a one tracked with Neves. The end listener might not know the difference (or care) but to me it'd be important. The OP is just trying to give us some context.

That said, I do agree that the actual amp tone and mic choice/positioning is easily 95% of the tone.

To the O.P., I've always found API-style pres to sound punchier and have more emphasis on highs/mids, while Neve-style pres usually sound a bit beefier to me, with more emphasis on low-mids - part of this effect just has to do with the way different pres respond to transients in the signal. It's a subtle difference but it's easy to hear in an A/B test, and you'll hear more difference just moving/changing the mic, guitar, or amp settings. But there it is.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

Really

Scott
Oh I understand completely. But I don't have access to any of those high end gear. The local GC is B stock store so nothing that's high end is there. All I can go off is the input of some of you guys. One of you might have worked with heavy groups. Oh and I've always believed I there no such thing as a bad question.
Old 1st June 2011
For whatever it's worth, here's a tune I did last year using 1084s for the guitars. The amps were the newer 5150s, the ones with the new number name (6505 or something?). Mics were SM57s and possibly something else, though I can't remember for sure. It might have been just the 57. If I did use a second mic, it would have been a 421 or 121.

Here's another tune; this one might prove useful in that there's practically no EQ on the guitars. We did this EP really quick, and were going for a classic hardcore 7" sound, so it's pretty much set up and printheh

One amp is a Dual Rectifier, the other is a Framus Cobra. Both were recorded with 1084s again, and the mics were a 57 and a 121.

Hope that helps
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of the A Designs Pacifica for all things guitar, vocals, and bass. Actually all things preamp. It has an excellent presence that really helps guitar cut through the mix. I've been using mine the past week to track heavy guitars for a metal record using a 5150 amp and SM57/i5.

Cool tracks bgrotto!

Brad
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
what goes down in front of the microphone is far more important than which mic it is, or anything downstream of it.
I think this is assumed

Quote:
The frikkin' gear doesn't KNOW or CARE what kind of music you're playing.
sort of subjective I guess. Personally I would never use a Neve 1073 for certain types of metal gtrs due to the build up in the low mids. It can get muddy. Also some api pres which are so mid forward, can sound weird at times too. It all depends on the sound you are looking for. I just finished an 80s metal type project and the we did some gtr with API and found it really accentuated the upper mids in a way we didn't like. We re-recorded them with a Wunder audio Peq which was sort of more neutral across the mids but still colored, although more evenly than Neve or API. It all depends.

I find on metal gtrs the cleaner stuff like a GML 2032 or a Millennia can work great since it's all about the source at that point.
But it all depends. To say gear actually doesn't care about the source is true because it's not human. But if a human knows a preamp accentuates certain frequencies that may not benefit the source in a certain mix, then you care not to use that preamp. So in away the preamp does care.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search