The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need to find THE workhorse of acoustic guitars
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear

I play gig and record with a Seagull (same Canadian manufacturers group than Larrivee, Godin, Simon&Patrick…), it's a high end of their models (Artist Mosaïc), but… I tried 4 or 5 of them before I found that one !
All acoustic guitars of the same model do not sound right the same, even in high end !
You have to go to the shop, with no brand in mind, and use your ears, really…
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDaCat View Post
Find a good shop then have fun auditioning...
This is really the best advice.
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear
Finally a chance to hype my acoustic guitar of choice:
Ibanez. The most under appreciated acoustic amongst semi-pros and pros, imho.
What I love about the ones I´ve owned - two - is that they DON´T have a signature sound. When I play certain more legendary acoustics I think "Sounds great, but very specific" - usually too "woody". My Ibanez´s are very non colored, almost chameleonic and seem to fit into anything. It´s down to which strings you choose, how you attack it and mic placement. Everyone who has ever played on mine makes a remark about how good it sounds - which is kind of odd, because it´s so neutral.
Important to find a store that has several, to find the right one, even though most have a very similar build AFAIK.
Personally I would choose Ibanez over guitars twice the price, maybe even more expensive ones (if for no other reason the fear of breaking them).

Takamine, ofcourse, is a tried and tested live acoustic, with very good built in pickup system. Very practical when being heard is an issue. Doesn´t do much - if anything - for me unplugged, though.
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Check out what Yamaha has been doing lately. I have one, and tried a few others and I have been totally blown away by how they sound, and how they play. Very impressive and an amazing value.
IMO, Yamaha's been making a good git-fiddle for years. My first acoustic guitar was a Yamaha. Played great, sounded great, stayed in tune. Haven't had it for years and still miss that thing. BTW I think Ovation is a pretty good guitar for the money, if you can get used to the awkwardness of the bowl.
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear

I am one of the few who hates taylors. I have played some 700 and 900 series that i have fallen in love with, but other than that i havent really liked any. Never sounded good plugged in either with a fishman.

I have a Gibson Hummingbird. The tone is to die for.

But you can find some 70s guilds that are killer for pretty cheap.

I love martins as well. Can find some amazing ones starting at $600 range.

A guitar is a piece of wood, they are hit or miss. Unless you know a company that hand picks and handcrafts their guitars up to spec, you just got to try them all until you hear the magic
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear

Takamine EN2. (second hand)

Discontinued but a wonderful guitar if you get one second hand. I also love the ENC/T range for the price.

If you can afford, i'd consider a Taylor 414ce/714ce/814ce/914ce.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I would say the Gibson J45 is probably a really good choice. I find it mics much better than Martins which tend to be boomy. There are a lot of great guitars out there but they don't always mic as easily as one would think. Granted, there is always a way to make a good performance sound great but if you're looking for something to rely on for all styles of music and one that seems to mic well without too much effort, J45 is the one.

And I own a fantastic 1939 D18.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search