The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KuSh Audio or Gold Point?
Old 29th May 2011
KuSh Audio or Gold Point?

Hi,
I have Yamaha HS80M active monitors. I was thinking of buying TC Electronic Level Pilot but after reading its downsides (stereo imaging problems) i gave up.
I want something better that won't ruin things. I consider these for under 500 USD:
KuSh Audio UBK Main Gain | Sweetwater.com
and
Goldpoint SA1X Level Control / Passive Preamp

I need some opinions. What are the pros and cons of them. Are there any better choices in the same price range?
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

Anything made by KuSh Audio is solid.
Old 29th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

The Kush Audio Main Gain will give you the ability to mono your signal, as well as independently turn off either left or right speaker. The combination of the two sets of controls allows you to do one speaker mono which can be really powerful for evaluating the balances and frequency masking within your mixes. Because the Main Gain is an expandable device, should you desire additional features you can always pick up the Function Junction down the road to add additional switchable stereo ins and outs, talkback, and dual headphone amps. The ultra-low distortion, extremely wide bandwidth class A signal path gives you pristine audio straight through. I personally feel its left-right tracking is very solid throughout the entire range of the volume pot. Plus it's brown. heh

Warren from Zen Pro Audio did a cool comparison of the Main Gain to the Presonus Central Station (passive volume control) that you may find insightful:

http://www.zenproaudio.com/controllertests.aspx

The Goldpoint is simply a passive volume control using a stepped attenuator. It does no more than that.

One thing to consider is the ergonomics of using the monitor controller in a real session. I know that when I'm tracking and mixing the monitor level knob is constantly being adjusted. The fact that the Goldpoint knob is on the front face could be a little awkward depending on your setup. A knob that sticks straight up is a bit more natural for just grabbing and turning blindly IMHO. Something to consider...

Brad
(member of Kush Audio Gain Train design team)
Old 30th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Since you're based in europe I'd go for this: SPL 2CONTROL BLACK - Thomann UK Cyberstore
Thanks for the inputs.

2Control is out of my price range. But, SPL Volume 2 is an alternative.

Now i need further opinions on SPL Volume 2, Kush Audio Main Gain and Goldpoint SA1X.

These are not cheap, so i don't want to make a mistake.
Gear Addict

if you looking for something cheap but good, you should check SM Pro Audio Nano Patch or M-Patch 2.
Lives for gear

+1 KUSH. UBK's stuff is awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by divine source View Post
if you looking for something cheap but good, you should check SM Pro Audio Nano Patch or M-Patch 2.
I guess i want something betterheh.
Old 30th May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
Hi,
I have Yamaha HS80M active monitors. I was thinking of buying TC Electronic Level Pilot but after reading its downsides (stereo imaging problems) i gave up.
I want something better that won't ruin things. I consider these for under 500 USD:
KuSh Audio UBK Main Gain | Sweetwater.com
and
Goldpoint SA1X Level Control / Passive Preamp

I need some opinions. What are the pros and cons of them. Are there any better choices in the same price range?
I am on the same boat with you I need some sort of device like this. Right now i am leaning toward the Kush. It has more options. I wish it had a place to stick a pair of headphones. Cant say I liked the mackie big knob when I had it a few years back. I would pass on that. The mackie mixer was actually better ha go figure. Keep suggestions coming. The rest of the cheapo stuff has a digital gain stage! Really guys? Really? How much is an opamp these days?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Warren from Zen Pro Audio did a cool comparison of the Main Gain to the Presonus Central Station (passive volume control) that you may find insightful:

ZenPro Audio: Monitor Controller Tests
too bad these test files were done with the gain set at unity. it would have been more interesting to see what's happening at 50% or 25%, which is where more bad stuff happens.
I don't care about the extra features. I just want a volume knob with minimum effect on the sound.
Gear Head

hey, quick question: is KuSh active or passive?
I bought the 2control used for $150 and it's great! No drift at the lowest volumes and it seems neutral. It's about as basic as you can get. It's got a mute and that's it.
UBK's unit came out a month after I bought the SPL. If I would've known about the Main Gain then I would've bought it as Kush audio products are top notch. Plus the ability to mute and expand is very cool.
I used to have a TC Big Knob and it failed after a year. very poor construction.
My advice go wih the UBK product!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalkalinowski View Post
hey, quick question: is KuSh active or passive?

The Gain Train is active, precisely because we wanted completely linear frequency response and zero impedence-related issues throughout the entire gain range. Passive designs have the intellectual appeal of a simple, minimal signal path, but their performance varies depending on what's feeding them and what they, in turn, are feeding.

This is why all the uber-expensive controllers are active: they are uniform and predictable under almost any setup and situation, and with the latest generation of amplifiers, they are more transparent than their passive counterparts.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Goldpoint is a "stepped attenuator", unlike Main Gain and SPL Voulme2 as i know. Is this an advantage over the non-stepped controllers?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
I don't care about the extra features. I just want a volume knob with minimum effect on the sound.
Gold Point.

I'm sure Greg's is great as well but if the above quote is true and you're willing to pay this is what the Gold Point sounds like...

G
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
The Gain Train is active, precisely because we wanted completely linear frequency response and zero impedence-related issues throughout the entire gain range. Passive designs have the intellectual appeal of a simple, minimal signal path, but their performance varies depending on what's feeding them and what they, in turn, are feeding.

This is why all the uber-expensive controllers are active: they are uniform and predictable under almost any setup and situation, and with the latest generation of amplifiers, they are more transparent than their passive counterparts.

Gregory Scott - ubk
thanks for detailed answer!
Old 31st May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Its difficult for me to imagine an audio attenuator more accurate or neutral than the goldpoint stuff.

I bought 4 of them for the front end of some McIntosh power amps. Stunning.
Old 31st May 2011 | Show parent
I don't know why but, Goldpoint is more charming for me from the begenning. I wonder if it goes bad in time like some other cheap stuff.
Old 2nd June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hey Rairun,

If you do end up picking up a Kush Main Gain, be sure to share your impressions once you've had a chance to live with it for a little bit.

Brad
Lives for gear

I know the Goldpoints are clean and clear, but I went with the Kush Main Gain recently because I wanted to drive multiple monitors at once and have the advantages of an active monitor controller so they all work as transparantly as possible.

Passive designs are theoretically great and when matched to a specific load are indeed ideal... but monitors and amps vary in their load that they present to the controller which is exactly why high end controllers are accross the board active designs. Some of the lesser expensive active controllers suffer which is why the Kush is such a great product, its price is similar to the lower cost options but the audio quality is AAA 100% unbelievable.

FYI,
I'm using my main gain to feed a pair of the new Neumann KH120 (the Klein + Hummel o100 successor) and an Adcom GFA555 that was modded by Jim Williams which feeds a pair of NS10's.

This combo including the Kush MainGain is hands down my favorite, clearest, best sounding rig I've owned and rivals the best monitoring combo's I've used at any studio I've freelanced in too.

Yes, the Kush is that good.
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidusername View Post
too bad these test files were done with the gain set at unity. it would have been more interesting to see what's happening at 50% or 25%, which is where more bad stuff happens.
Hi there. We did test the pot from barely opening each of them and moved it up incrementally all the while recording a tone. We wanted to see how the KuSh and Central Station compared at lower levels (to see drift between left / right mainly) and the Kush was extremely solid at all levels where the Presonus was out for the first 2 marks on the pot (which I knew anyhow, since it is my unit).

We did not publish that audio file, but we used it to support things we "think" are going on.

War
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Addict

Just a quick question here on impedance matching in this context...

Is the aim of the game to match the impedance of a passive attenuator to the amplifier it's driving, or to the signal coming into the attenuator?
๐Ÿ“ Reply