The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Traditional Chinese instrument samples, Giga/Kontakt-any help?
Old 2nd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Traditional Chinese instrument samples, Giga/Kontakt-any help?

This may be the wrong place for this post, but if anyone has experience with this I will appreciate it.

Regards,
Santo
Old 2nd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Check out this link:

http://www.chineekong.com/

They're plugins but they might be of interest to you! They've got some free ones too!
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Can't help with samples but if you want a reall erhu recorded on your project I can help with that.

-R
Old 2nd March 2006
Here for the gear

Spectrasonics Heart Of Asia is by far the best collection of Chinese samples and loops out there. There are a few others, but for shere volume of quality instruments, percussion string and wind (and vocal), they surpass all others in my opinion.

I had to score a doc set in China, and they saved the day. The director couldn't believe how I found so many Chinese musicians in such a short period of time.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

I own a Guzheng, pipa, and erhu. I might have access to a guang qin, but I have to wait and see about that... What kind of project are you working on?
Old 2nd March 2006
Here for the gear

I forgot to mention, the very best samples, ones that can't be touched, are the Lewis Wu libriary. Check it out. His post is above mine
Old 2nd March 2006
Here for the gear

Best Free ethnic Chinese sample library

http://www.besides-sound.com/gc/gcdown.htm

Big free library of 4 different ethnic chinese instruments. Includes formats for Reason, Acid, Stylus as well as basic Aiff's. Enjoy
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisWu
I own a Guzheng, pipa, and erhu. I might have access to a guang qin, but I have to wait and see about that... What kind of project are you working on?
Do you play them? If so, what is your specialty?

-R
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Spectrasonics Heart Of Asia is by far the best collection of Chinese samples and loops out there. There are a few others, but for shere volume of quality instruments, percussion string and wind (and vocal), they surpass all others in my opinion.

I had to score a doc set in China, and they saved the day. The director couldn't believe how I found so many Chinese musicians in such a short period of time.

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the library.
Quote:
I am located in Pittsburgh and will be soon mixing the project in Nashville. I have parts that are sequenced where I approximated tradition Chinese instrument sounds. Now I want to replace them with authentic sounds. The project is pop, like the pop music found in current Broadway.

Unfortunately, not practcal at this point to use a performer. It will initially be released independently. The music accompanies a story about China.

Thanks for the great response.
Santo
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Check out this link:

http://www.chineekong.com/

They're plugins but they might be of interest to you! They've got some free ones too!
I saw this website when I did a search on Google. I wasn't sure if it was legitimate because they wanted the money first with the promise of the download via email.

Have you bought the CD from them?

Santo
Old 3rd March 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo
I saw this website when I did a search on Google. I wasn't sure if it was legitimate because they wanted the money first with the promise of the download via email.

Santo
Hi Santo,

Rest assured we are legitimate. The reasons why we do not provide trial versions are:

1)Bandwidth issue. The free sample packs almost ate all our bandwidth when they were hosted by ourselves (and at the time we didn't even mention those files to anyone.) We figured the situation could be even more demanding for the trial versions.

2)It's the common practice for soundwares/sample libraries. That's also why we provide free plugins/sample packs as well as audio demos for potential customers' evaluation purpose.

As you can see, our official support forum at KvR has been quite active. We have been around for a while now, and more or less earned our credibility along the way - as the first "made in China" sample library developer, it's not easy, to be honest. But it's getting better.

A few thoughts on the Chinese instruments sample libraries:

Heart of Asia is no doubt a classic that we look up to. We've worked hard to try to, at the very least, not to be below the high standard Spectrasonics has set up. So far, thankfully, even some of the most high-profile Hollywood composers are happy with what we have done.

There are, as a matter of fact, quite some existing old/new libraries that contain or feature Chinese instruments. In the spirit of keeping it a healthy competition, we can only urge you to use your ear, listen to whatever demos available, then make up your own mind. We do what we do know, and we know what we do.

Anyway, just like orchestral libraries, serious composers usually have several top libraries at their disposal. Maybe that will be the same path for us too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by sosayweall; 3rd March 2006 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: typos...
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo

Santo
No, honestly I don't know about their products... I have downloaded their free plugs (because I'm a gearslut) but I haven't tried them out yet. I just remembered them when I saw your question and thought it might be interesting for you... I have seen some of the developers in other forums, though, and they seem pretty cool and serious...
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
All files are available for on-line download only. You must download a test file to check your internet connection(LAN/ADSL/ISDN) before proceeding. If the test file can be downloaded, then you may click on "Buy Now" to buy the samples. If you can't download the test file, you are out of luck and please DO NOT PURCHASE. After we receive the payment, an e-mail will be sent to you with the download location and password.
Respectfully, The website leaves me with a bit of confusion. I am not sure of the proceedure necessary to buy samples in Giga 3.0 format (or Giga I can convert).

Where is the test file that I must download before proceeding?

What proceedure show I follow to buy your samples?

Regards,
Santo
Old 3rd March 2006
Here for the gear

Hi Santo,

Our apologies. The Giga sample sets page has gone through several modifications in the past year, and I didn't pay attention to the changes made to it. I'll fix the descriptions later today.

There was a test file, but it's removed to make space for other stuff. Users no longer have to test their download speed anymore either, since we switched to a server in the States specifically for serving files to Western customers.

Please note that only ChineeWinds is available in the Giga format. The Giga samplesets' mappings are rather plain, not as meticulously programmed as the VSTi version. But users can access and mangle with the raw samples if they have a sample converter.

As for the purchase procedure, just click on the "buynow" button...

You may want to drop by our forum and check the "user demo" thread. Some of them (i.e., iain_morland's tunes) show off Winds' sound pretty well, even without using midi editing heavily.
Old 15th March 2006
Gear Maniac

So Say We All, Greetings,

After listening to the demos on your website I purchased Chinese Winds. I am having a little bit of trouble with installation though. Probably somethink I am doing.

I tried to install first on a non-system drive. I message came up when I launched the program that it was unable to find about 4 different files. The plug in did not work. So I thought it may need to be installed on the system drive, so I did that after an unistall from the non-system drive.

I will also post on the KRV site.

Thanks for you help.

Santo
Old 15th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Got it working. No need to reply. Sounds very good to me.

Santo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search