The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid wants to know if you can tell the difference between a Neve and an ITB mix Studio Headphones
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Addict

Avid wants to know if you can tell the difference between a Neve and an ITB mix

Avid | HEAT Listening Challenge

seems interesting enough heh
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

Yeap.Will give it a go tomorrow...
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

Who has "mixed" this
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Addict

I took the test with old K141 headphones (like, really old) through an old wooden Nivico integrated amp out of my crappy realtek soundcard at home. I think the cans are a bit veiled, and the amp may not be very transparent since it has never been maintained in more than 30 years. So everything sounded nice and rounded, so I had 13% correct answers and apparently preferred the "HEAT" protools mix (I chose randomly since I did not hear the same differences at each playback).

But can we really say the sound of a console is only that of the summing ? This test was just neve faders at unity gain, I bet nothing was pushed hard, no EQ or heavy routing/bussing have been used. I'll listen to it again at the studio on monitors I can trust, but I have a feeling avid is not taking any risks with this, since the itb raw mix sounds so close to the 2 others.

I remember a shootout involving a busy mix itb/spl mixdream/midas venice, and the differences were pretty obvious, so I can't believe a 500 kg vintage beast sounds the same as a CPU.
Old 26th May 2011
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search