The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Profire 610 - fans revving up on MBP with almost no activity
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Nut

Profire 610 - fans revving up on MBP with almost no activity

Ok, so I finally upgraded my external USB sound card with the Profire 610 firewire unit from M-Audio.

While I am very impressed with the sound, I am not very impressed with what seems like erratic behavioiur from the fans on my MacBook Pro (mid 2010 - i5 processor, 2.4GHz, 4GB memory).

Even while just playing back sound files from the Finder, the fans rev up from the usual 2000RPM (idle) to about 2500RPM. iStat is showing between 0 and 1 percent total CPU activity, so this is making no sense at all.

I seem to remember reading about people having trouble with firewire sound cards on their 2008 (I think) models of the MBP, but, as far as I can tell, the problem is still real.

Are there any solutions? Do I need to go back to USB again? I'm pretty astonished by this, as I was always under the impression that going the firewire route would mean less work for the CPU than what's the case with USB, but as of right now that doesn't seem to be case at all.

I have connected external power to the Profire 610 just to make sure, but it doesn't seem to matter - it will still affect the fan speed.

Anyone?
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Nut

Ok, this is ridiculous. Just tried previewing a file from the file dialogue box in Wave Editor.

Playing through the Profire 610 results in the fans gearing up to 3500RPM - and staying there. Wave Editor is the only software running.

I switch to internal sound, but do not turn off the Profire. The fans stay at 3500RPM while previewing.

I turn OFF the Profire 610 and continue playback through internal sound card. Result? The fans slow down to about 2200RPM ...

So, amazingly, the firewire card results in the fans running about 1300RPM faster than when it's turned off. I never experienced anything like this with the USB card.

If this isn't solvable, the Profire 610 is going back.
Old 2nd June 2011
Gear Nut

No one else experiencing this?
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

I experience this on my 2010 13" MBP as well. It's related to the way that the operating system handles Firewire connections. It's annoying, to be sure, but there's no solution that I know of. I've been living with it.
Old 2nd June 2011
Gear Nut

I'm about to rig my iMac with a TC Impact Twin, which is FireWire. I'll let you know whether or not I have a fan issue. (Recently, the iMac's fan started revving up for no reason at all, which is very odd indeed -- putting it to sleep stopped it.)

These are not the kind of fan issues we want LOL
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Nut

That's a shame. I actually thought my MBP would be LESS inclined to display this sort of fan activity when using Firewire, at least that seems to have been the consensus earlier.

Guess it's back to an USB sound card, then. I'm not very tolerant towards fan noise.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search