The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
andy wallace mixing new dream theater!
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

andy wallace mixing new dream theater!

wow that's really amazing. i can't wait to see what his hands on mixing will sound like with such a dynamic band. i always wanted to hear these two entities merge. sucks that mike portnoy will not be the drummer though. although the album he tracked with avenged sevenfold was mixed by AW haha that's kind of ironic in a twister way.
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

Ah, that's great!

As a drummer, I'm looking very much forward hearing how Mike Mangini plays on the new albuim and with AW - my favourite rock mixer - I bet it will be pretty organic sounding.

I stopped following DT about 10 years ago, but now with Mangini, I'm interested again. Great choice chosing AW to mix the album!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear

First song released off the album.

YouTube - ‪Dream Theater - On The Backs Of Angels‬‏

definitely recommend 720p if possible...drums getting pretty buried at times on anything lower to me.
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear

This should be good. I was never a Portnoy fan.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

The album is out in the US as of today. What do you guys think?

Some are complaining that the drums are buried in the mix, but I think they're all DT fans who are used to Portnoy's loud and clicky kick. I prefer this album's approach. Everything is sounding very balanced instead of DT's recent trend of all guitars and kick mixes. It's nice to hear bass and keys again in a DT mix.

I think Andy Wallace did an amazing job

BTW, the best tracks are easily "Bridges In The Sky" and "Breaking All Illusions" IMO...

This is probably the most inspired DT has sounded to me in about 10 years.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I really dig the tunes and the mix. I wish the snare had some more crack to it, but I love how all the frequencies are so well balanced. Andy Wallace did a really nice job IMO. With all the organized chaos that occurs sometimes in a DT song you can still hear everything really well and things still sound pretty huge. I can understand what some fans are saying about the drums being low, and I would have been cool with a bit more drums in the mix, but it's not a big deal for me either. My 2 cents. - paul
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
I have never been a big Dream Theater fan. But I might become one after this.

I like Portnoy...but i think Mangini killed on the record, and I think the mix is a better balance than past DT efforts.

The vocals are the best they have ever done, a product of Portnoy's absence, and you can actually hear the bass.

I am a big fan of Adrenaline Mob, Portnoys new thing, and this is one case where I think change did all good.

And Andy Wallace, well the CD sounds fantastic. Props to the mastering as well, they didn't brick wall it to death.

Highly recommended.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just picked this up tonight and am totally jazzed to give it a listen. A friend of mine said he's never heard Petrucci sound better. Hard to believe that but we'll see, I guess.

It may be really interesting to hear what Jordan Rudess did with Omnisphere on this record. He talked about introducing some of the new Omnisphere sounds to the band in pre-production and said they liked what they were hearing.
Old 14th September 2011
jac
Gear Addict

When I was a teenager I was crazy for them, still remember first time I listened to Images and Words.... i was blown away. Then I loose interested on the band, especially after Kevin Moore left the band. It sounded like they prefered to move to the "fires and flames" playing instead of been focused on the musicality.

First listenings (I admitted that I did find the way to listen the record in advance before buying it) I was surprised. Record has a vintage flavour which matches the music very well. Drums doesn't sound as a typical Wallace style, they are slighty behind but they fit well.
I think that this is the best record they made since Awake. There are a couple of killer songs. It's not my style anymore but I can feel emotions running along the tracks.

Record is not smashed and some dynamics are kept. If I'm correct looks like Wallace did the mastering job. Somebody more into this detail could jump here to clarify.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

A Dramatic Turn of Events - Dream Theater | AllMusic

Ted Jensen is listed as ME.
Old 14th September 2011
jac
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Thanks a lot!! Great job by Mr. Jensen....
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Great record through and through....from the musicianship to the songs to the production. First class!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

New Gear for John Petrucci

John Petrucci actually solely produced this album. Here he is in an interview talking a little bit about gear for recording guitar.

Did you use any new gear this album?

"Well, as a guitar player, one of my goals was to look into whatever advances in technology are out there in terms of preamps, microphones, things like that. We did do some experimenting right at the beginning and demoed out a bunch of my preamps and came upon a couple that were really cool, one by Shadow Hills and one by Universal Audio, and in addition to an SM57, which is standard, a new Shure ribbon mic. We did some additional experimenting with the guitar to capture the best tone possible. We did demo out, and end up using, the new digital gear towards recording our digital in-outs and our plots, so we kind of upped our game regarding the equipment and the system we were using."

Shadow Hills, UA, and Shure... cool

Also, he used the Mark V on the whole album and no other amps. Glad to see the GS community seems to be digging the mix(as well as the music) thus far.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Man, the drums really are pretty buried. Too much in my opinion, and not by a little bit. Not that it's a deal breaker, but it is surprising.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Man, the drums really are pretty buried. Too much in my opinion, and not by a little bit. Not that it's a deal breaker, but it is surprising.
This album really benefits from having the high quality tracks(all I have are the MP4's too, I need wavs!) played through a nice system with nice DA, etc, etc...not sure how you're listening to it. But for me, this helped the drum situation immensely as opposed to listening on youtube or whatever.

Drums are crystal clear to me using my DT-770's through my RME Babyface
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

How can you guys like the production so much ?!? I'm not saying that is complete crap but compared to the current standard this album sounds just mediocre. Everything sounds too raw/unprocessed especially the drums, I mean, come on... they're a progressive METAL band, their songs are aggressive, do you really think that those drums suit their sound ?!?!?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciozzi View Post
How can you guys like the production so much ?!? I'm not saying that is complete crap but compared to the current standard this album sounds just mediocre. Everything sounds too raw/unprocessed especially the drums, I mean, come on... they're a progressive METAL band, their songs are aggressive, do you really think that those drums suit their sound ?!?!?
If "Systematic Chaos" and "Black Clouds and Silver Linings" are what prog metal records are SUPPOSED to sound like, I'll gladly be wrong on this issue and enjoy the mix on ADTOE heh
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I wasn't comparing ADTOE to their other albums, I was comparing it to my preferred productions, in the end one tends to make comparisons to the stuff that they're used to listening too. This album was mixed by Andy Wallace and mastered by Ted Jensen, big names I would expect it to be not just good but great!!!

Those two records you mentioned don't sound too good to me either and if I had to be sincere their productions have never been excellent (with the exception of train of thought which I happen to like).
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciozzi View Post

Those two records you mentioned don't sound too good to me either and if I had to be sincere their productions have never been excellent (with the exception of train of thought which I happen to like).
Funny TOT is one of my least favorite sounding albums from DT heh

I agree that on the whole they've rarely had great sounding records. If you take out the triggered kick and snare from I&W, I think it's easily their best sounding album.

IMO this mix and master is great, up there in my top 3 DT album mixes.

Edit: didn't mean to misquote you or anything, was just joking around in previous post
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
This album really benefits from having the high quality tracks(all I have are the MP4's too, I need wavs!) played through a nice system with nice DA, etc, etc...not sure how you're listening to it. But for me, this helped the drum situation immensely as opposed to listening on youtube or whatever.

Drums are crystal clear to me using my DT-770's through my RME Babyface
Same cans and a ProFire here!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Same cans and a ProFire here!
Awesome How are you liking the mix?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like the mix a lot and hope all their records sound like this in the future. Not so glassy/glossy.

After a few moments I found myself just sitting back and really enjoying the music, not being critical at all. Just getting into the experience.

To me that was proof the mix was great...because I forgot about the mix altogether and simply enjoyed the art. Hope that makes some sense.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I heard one of the tracks today and it sounded superb
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I wonder if the new Shure ribbon mentioned was what used to be the Crowley & Tripps Naked Eye. Anybody know?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
I wonder if the new Shure ribbon mentioned was what used to be the Crowley & Tripps Naked Eye. Anybody know?
I'm definitely curious about this as well...

Some of the lead guitar tones on this album are just fantastic.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I agree. Like the the tones/vibe of everything but could use some more prominent drums.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
If you take out the triggered kick and snare from I&W, I think it's easily their best sounding album.
I'd love to hear this album re-mixed and with real kick & snare.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 15th September 2011
jac
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakarl View Post
I'd love to hear this album re-mixed and with real kick & snare.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com App
You mean triggered kick & snare? :-) to me drums sound pretty real.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
You mean triggered kick & snare? :-) to me drums sound pretty real.
Haha are you serious?? The snare is 100% replaced and sounds like a machine.

Back to OP.

THe mix is soso. I like that it is very dynamic but it could have more punch. That is my main complaint. Its like a bad version (not bad but..) of octavarium mix, which was a bit the same but had more punch and depth.
The songwriting is good, better then their 3last albums but not as good as their classical stuff. Song nr8 rocks, a flirt with their past i'd say.

In my opinion Awake and Six Degrees.o.T is their best sounding albums. Six degrees just cries out analogue sweetness.
Old 15th September 2011
jac
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Haha are you serious?? The snare is 100% replaced and sounds like a machine.
No i'm not! :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search