The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boom! How to tame acoustic gtr boominess?
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I can only speak from personal experience and I don't mean to utter yet another 'it's the player' mantra. Of course, it IS the player to a large degree but with acoustic guitars I found that it's mostly the instrument itself.

My life got easier after aquiring two Gibson guitars- a small-bodied LG-2 and a J-185. It's amazing how you can get pretty close to the soundhole when necessary with practically no 'boom'. I don't know what it is but these guitars act very differently than others I've owned or instruments that clients play.

When micing acoustic guitar with say a KM 84 I don't position the mic too close of course but I really think that the 'You need to aim the mic towards the 12th fret'-method, if you want to call it one, is a load of crap. Of course you might want that sound/position but making a 'rule' out of it seems strange to me.

There are great guitars and then there are great recording guitars, it's as simple as that. These days I tend to rather add EQ at 100-200hz sometimes rather than 'notch' that range out.

Of course strings and picks especially make a big difference too.

o.k, I hear ya! Here are some ideas:

- Use different strings (I'm very fond of Gibson 'J-200' strings that have a silk wrap at the ball-end which to my ears seem to give a slight smiley curve to the sound)

- Use a different plectrum : Generally a thinner pick produces less boom.

- An here's a big one: Experiment with holding the pick looser or tighter. It's amazing how that changes the sound and touch. I only started to explore this concept very recently and I've been playing guitar for 30+ years?!)

- Try a dynamic mic. Often a dynamic mic with a bit of EQ added might produce better results that a condensor that may pick up too much room resonance and, yes, boom.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I have several boomy acoustics. its all between the F# and Bb on the low E usually. It has a little bit in the guitar, but the room amplifies that. Get some bass traps
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Mic placement is the bet way to correct an acoustic guitar. I found in my studio raising the mic higher reduced the low end. Since I have carpet in my studio, I out a large piece of wood on the floor in front if me as well so the carpet would not suck up freq's.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Tom Petty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Listen to Tom Petty A Face In The Crowd.

Note how the use of a soft pick creates a reference to the
root chord, but what you hear in the larger mix is the washboard effect
of the pick used as more of a percussion instrument.

If you have access to a 00 or Parlor guitar, try that too.

Very often they used a thing called Nashville tuning to record the strumming guitars on Petty albums. You buy a set of strings for a 12 string guitar and using only the thin strings. The end of boomy guitars. Works for electrics as well.
Record two tracks and pan them hard left and right.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesso View Post
The end of boomy guitars.
Necro-ness aside, I'm pretty sure the OP wanted a non-boomy acoustic with all the usual notes. Not minus the entire bottom octave.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesso View Post
Very often they used a thing called Nashville tuning to record the strumming guitars on Petty albums. You buy a set of strings for a 12 string guitar and using only the thin strings. The end of boomy guitars. Works for electrics as well.
Record two tracks and pan them hard left and right.
Cool tip, thanks. Also nice to revive a 2011 thread after 8 years!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We always used Nashville tuning to double track two acoustic guitars - one set up 'normal' the other set up like the 2nd course of strings of a 12 string (wound strings an octave higher aka Nashville tuning).

As a solution to the boomy bottom is certainly creative.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemiumaire View Post
Cool tip, thanks. Also nice to revive a 2011 thread after 8 years!
Those who seek should find

I hope you like it!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Necro-ness aside, I'm pretty sure the OP wanted a non-boomy acoustic with all the usual notes. Not minus the entire bottom octave.
Cool, I just referred to the Petty song and gave another tip. We all struggle with the boom, great tips all of them!
Old 3 weeks ago
The best tool for this I find is the Waves Andrew Scheps Omnichannel. The channels sweepable deessers make it very easy to isolate the frequency causing the problem.

My other go is Fab Filter’s Pro Eq 3 where the dynamic EQ can be very helpful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search