The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which comes first, the gear or the sound?? Studio Headphones
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Addict

Which comes first, the gear or the sound??

Do you spend more time trying to pull a good sound from your existing gear and know how, or more time trolling for new gear that will supposedly do things bigger, better and cleaner than ever before??

I must say as much as I try to be the former.... I often fall into the latter category :P No matter what I have (and I have some nice gear), it's never quite the biggest or best and I'm always googling new or vintage, hyped or tried and true gear till the early morning hours.
On the other hand, a producer I work with who has far more years of experience than myself utilises just 1 microphone, a 10 year old interface/converter, and a simple yamaha digital mixer. Oh, and Logic 5 on PC. Yet his results are unquestionable.
Old 26th May 2011
They developed simultaneously for me...better technique and better gear.
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

I see no reason at my place for more new gear.

But I see a reason to shape my sounds my compositions till they feel alright.
To show them more experienced producers and ask them for critique.

What is the gear for if there is no music that touches someone inside?
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

the source is far more important than anything else, which doesn´t mean that you don´t need good equipment to capture the sound
good equipment - i mean equipment that gives you a great result, maybe it must not be very expensive
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Maniac

I don't have much gear, especially for recording, but I've not upgraded anything for about a year and half now and it's probably been the time in which my recordings have improved the most.
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

learn your gear well !

the most important thing is the source, the performer/performance and a great song!

people love:
a great song recorded anyway you can get it, and there is endless debate here on what a good recording is.

is it a good song & bad recording?
or is it a great recording of a bad song?

gear don't matter if the material you are trying to capture suks!
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Addict

For me, it's mainly about using what I have to get the best results. If I have relatively decent gear, then I believe I should be able to get equally decent (or better) results from it, before trying to add more components into the equation. I like to know my signal chain and understand my work flow inside and out. I have to have a pretty good reason to add something extra that could clutter the chain, in my opinion.

But sometimes something extra is necessary, and I think that being as familiar and comfortable as possible with my existing set-up helps make that decision more clear when the need arises.
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

Even a Behringer mixer can capture a great sound.
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

Try to get the best out of what you got, though sometimes a particular sound you have in your head might be unobtainable with what you have. Good gear just works and gives fast results.
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Addict

Go for what you hear in your head/heart (if you write and perform your own music), not who you want to sound like. Then, make the best of what you have or can afford.
I used to be a hardcore audiophile as well. While those years have helped me tremendously in my mixing and mastering today, my pursuit of the ultimate sound had almost made me lose my appreciation for what was the most important thing for me: music.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search