The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 550b Waves vs Hardware
Old 31st August 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 View Post
I really think that while close, plugin compression just can't do it like analog compression. I have done some A/B comparisons with the UAD 1176 vs a hardware unit, and though the UAD stuff is great, it still doesn't feel quite like the hardware. Can it obtain great results? Absolutely. Would 95% of people be able to tell the difference after mixing and mastering? Not a chance. It's a tough call, but it's also nice that hardware will always offer some resale value while plugins virtually always become almost worthless at some point on down the road.

Tough call...

JROD
Totally agree, although I feel Nebula is still a pain in the ass to use, so that makes hardware even more appealing. Yeah, I have the Mohog unit and nothing Nebula has produced compression-wise comes close to what that thing does, as an example.

I gave up on them focusing on the compression aspect of Nebula years ago as they seemed to have veered away from that goal and began focusing more on other features of the application, which is too bad since compression seems to be the last "frontier".
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSueMe View Post
Totally agree, although I feel Nebula is still a pain in the ass to use, so that makes hardware even more appealing. Yeah, I have the Mohog unit and nothing Nebula has produced compression-wise comes close to what that thing does, as an example.

I gave up on them focusing on the compression aspect of Nebula years ago as they seemed to have veered away from that goal and began focusing more on other features of the application, which is too bad since compression seems to be the last "frontier".
It seems strange to mention the one area(compression) where nebula has struggled.
Preamp, eq, reverb, tape emulation is superb

in fact there are some great buss compressors now - drawmer, ssl, GMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
It seems strange to mention the one area(compression) where nebula has struggled.
Preamp, eq, reverb, tape emulation is superb

in fact there are some great buss compressors now - drawmer, ssl, GMD
I need to check those out; I've been focusing more on track compression lately.
Old 1st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear
in response to the 1176 comment...the new uad 1176s sound absolutely incredible
Old 1st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keire View Post
in response to the 1176 comment...the new uad 1176s sound absolutely incredible
Agreed - a big step up
Old 3rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear
huge...im actually floored by them. they sound so open. the pumping is so clear....but they still have a great colour. probably my favorite ITB comp right now
Old 3rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

Once we reach the point where it is commonly accepted that it is not worth the premium of buying hardware resale will plummet. Just look at what happened to large format consoles.

Personally, I'm not ashamed to admit I find it depressing to have my whole world digitised. It makes everything so trivial.

Come on, this is GEARslutz after all.

Will admit software emulation is right on the verge.
Old 3rd September 2012
Gear Head

to the OP

I know what you are talking about. I was also surprised when comparing my 2500 to waves version just to find out they are not the same at all. I was really hoping them to be because I dont mind API 2500 sound for fragment of what it really costs.
Old 27th September 2014
Gear Addict

wow
Old 27th September 2014
How about the UAD API Vision compared to the hardware?
Old 10th April 2020
Gear Head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3fu-d2Ohyo

- Korg Mini Pops 35 (samples from vintage analog piece) + tambourin in the background

‪- Recorded thru Pro Tools HD 8 ‬

‪- API Waves TDM plugins - API 550b 500 format hardware insert(ed) ‬

‪- Video edited with Final Cut. - Original audio files format imported in Final Cut: wav. ‬

‪- Original video available for download here :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cjq...K6pY48HcU/view
Old 10th April 2020 | Show parent
Don't know why there is much discussion anymore on the Waves API, the newer UAD and Softtube emulations of the API are more accurate to the hardware and sound better than the Waves.

Last edited by Glenn Bucci; 10th April 2020 at 05:19 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
...the newer UAD and Softtube emulations of the API are more accurate to the hardware and sound better.
Better than the hardware?
Lives for gear

im lazy today can someone do a test?

record something ..duplicate the track..pop an API plug with no gain changes in one channel..invert the phase and play both ..do they FULL null?

if not they made the plug at least partially correct because just running thru the API with no eq changed the sound of the source
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

record something ..duplicate the track..pop an API plug with no gain changes in one channel..invert the phase and play both ..do they FULL null?

if not they made the plug at least partially correct because just running thru the API with no eq changed the sound of the source
This is an old thread. Waves does null. AA Pink3 does not (-30 or so).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
Better than the hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

I have Waves & Uad 550a and Capi BT50's. I will do a test within a day or so.

What I do know is I never reach for the waves 560, 550a or b, or 2500 any more. I use a lot of uad api 560's.

I will do a test with all 3 with a kick and snare sample.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Don't know why there is much discussion anymore on the Waves API, the newer UAD and Softtube emulations of the API are more accurate to the hardware and sound better than the Waves.
I really like the UAD API 500 EQ plugs. They are exceptional.

I only used the waves "before I had the UAD" really.

Do however think the Waves API 2500 is very nice. I don't have the UAD one of that yet.
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I really like the UAD API 500 EQ plugs. They are exceptional.

I only used the waves "before I had the UAD" really.

Do however think the Waves API 2500 is very nice. I don't have the UAD one of that yet.
Demo the uad2500. You'll most likely retire the waves 2500 too.
📝 Reply