The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AEA r84 soft case... alternatives? Ribbon Microphones
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

AEA r84 soft case... alternatives?

First let me say that I adore my r84's, of which I own a pair. They've sounded good on everything I've tried them on thus far. Really, really versitile ribbon mic.

But that isn't going to stop me from completely disliking the soft case that they come in. A lot of people here seemed to be praising them for some reason, but I just don't get it. It feels like I'm bending the cable where it attaches to the r84 every time I try to put the mic into the case -- which is a chore in itself. I feel like I have to be gentle, so I'm twisting and ushering ever so slightly, gradually guiding it into what seems to be a slightly under-sized case. I guess that's so it fits tightly.

In short: it feels like those awful sleeping bag bags that you spend an hour trying to shove you sleeping bag into, only in this case you've got to be timid about damaging a fragile microphone and can't do any real shoving!

I realize that some people like it. Though it's not my cup of tea, I'm simply wondering if there is a *reason* that they include these "drawstring bags" with an otherwise fantastic mic? Is there a reason I can't find a small (hard) roadcase and do a little foam cutting and carry them around in that? Is a hard case simply not an option because I'll treat it too wildly, swinging it around and knocking it onto it's side on occassion?

Enlighten me, please. I think I want different cases for these beasts, but I don't want to take them out of their natural-born environments, for fear of maming them.
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

I had the same feelings with my R84...

But after close micing many loud guitar cabs, vocalists, drum kits, zapping it with phantom power, etc... I've come to the conclusion that it is a really rugged mic and I don't worry about it anymore... I just shove it right in and move on... my $.02
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

if you use the button thing on the side for the curling up the cable it will not have to bend at all.....
Old 1st March 2006
Jai guru deva om

I've used my R84 (serial #777...does that equal heavenly?) on super loud sources as well and even kicked it over by accident once. Still no issues, I agree with Kris that they are tougher than you think.

The one thing I like about the bag is that it's a great way to keep the mic on a stand ready to use but also keep some punk from walking up to it and doing who knows what. It's a deterrent for sure! I have very few mics that I'm willing to put back in hard cases after sessions and the R84 gets used enough to where being on a stand, ready to use with a bag on it keeps me happy.

War
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

All good points guys -- especially War's comment about bagging it on a stand. Didn't really think about that. Eligit, what's this button you're refering to? I'm not at the studio right now, but I don't remember any button to fold in the cable mount....
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray
All good points guys -- especially War's comment about bagging it on a stand. Didn't really think about that. Eligit, what's this button you're refering to? I'm not at the studio right now, but I don't remember any button to fold in the cable mount....

well i am looking at it right now.

if you look at the soft case (if yours is the same as mine anyway), there is a carrying strap on it. at the place where the strap is attached to the side of the top (near the opening of the case) there is a chrome color metal button. if you button the button to the side of the soft case this provides a little spot to loop the mic cable and curl it up there. first i put the case on it (button unbuttoned), loop the cable up, and then button the button around it...that way nothing should be "bent".

wait a minute, you said cable MOUNT, not cable. this only apples to the cable, not the mount. with the mic pushed all the way to the bottom of the case the mount should be covered....right?
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, the place where the cable mounts to the mic. It's covered, but it seems you have to bend the cable a bit more than i'd like to get that part of the base of the mic in all the way, that's all. I'm guessing it was built tough enough that that's not a problem.... I'll have to go back and look at the bag to see this button thing you're talking about though... maybe i've been putting it in without examining it enough
Old 1st March 2006
Jai guru deva om

If the bottom of the bag would open up a leeeeetle bit more it would be more convenient for sure concerning what you're saying about the cable.

War
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
snips* ..Is there a reason I can't find a small (hard) roadcase and do a little foam cutting and carry them around in that? Is a hard case simply not an option because I'll treat it too wildly, swinging it around and knocking it onto it's side on occassion?
I don't own an r84, but I can't think of any good reason you couldn't do your own thing with a case. I mean, I have an old 44 that came to me looking like it was used as a doorstop, been sitting in a shoebox in a gentleman's garage for 30+ years. Ribbon looks perfect, without excessive sag. And it sounds tremendous. So, I know that the 44 at least can take some hearty abuse. Knowing AEA's build quality, I'd have a hard time believing that treating an 84 to a foamed hardshell case is going to **** it up..
Old 3rd March 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

Beware of foam. I read that any foam (I.e. windscreens) with a mic should be rubbed with hands on a white sheet of paper - and notice whether there are little particles on the paper. A lot of times there are. If not, probably ok. I do not know how you would test a foam case, but I would be worried about putting it in one without a plastic cover. I am no expert. Maybe others know more on this.

I actually cut my finger the other day putting the mic in its bag though! It is cumbersome.

I love the R84s despite this. The plastic bag is a good idea.
Make sure it is on a sturdy stand though if left there! And in a full upright position. (I knocked one over on a weak stand and caught it in time, but it was not something I would want to repeat.)
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

Check this Ebay auction. Might be of interest.
He makes mix bags/covers for the RCA 77 and 44 only a bit larger. I would imagine the 77 cover will work for the 84 as well. I have a pair of 84s and an RCA 77dx.
When my 77 arrived there was no box. It sits on a mic stand. The AEA bags are OK for traveling but I do prefer to leave them on stands since I use them often.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-44-Series-Ri...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah we have an R88 that we just perma-mount on a big boom stand and we just bag it there, so it works out very well!
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

If you want a hard case for traveling, why not try out a pelican? They come in many sizes. As for the foam, just put the mic in a large ziplock and then in the case.
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Matthew,

Actually it's a must to have your ribbon mics in plastic bags. This way you'll protect the ribbon in case a magnet inside suck small metallic pieces.

Pupo
Old 3rd July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 View Post
Hi Matthew,

Actually it's a must to have your ribbon mics in plastic bags. This way you'll protect the ribbon in case a magnet inside suck small metallic pieces.

Pupo
The black rubberized nylon drawstring bags by Sephora work great for bagging microphones. You can find them on EBay occasionally.
Old 4th July 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
If you want a hard case for traveling, why not try out a pelican? They come in many sizes. As for the foam, just put the mic in a large ziplock and then in the case.

Pelican case while using those thin produce bags you get from any grocery store, to put over the mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search