The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Friendly gear advice... Condenser Microphones
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear
Friendly gear advice...

I know these types of threads can go in all sorts of different directions...

But I'm just looking for a few ideas outside of all my research and planning. I currently freelance engineer, and use my home set up a lot to do so. I have a nice 22'x24' room with 10' ceilings to track/mix in, that's well treated. No worries there. I do mainly rock bands, songwriter productions, pop, etc...and occasionally a metal band...

Current gearlist is pretty basic, but effective:
-Pro Tools 8 on a 24" iMac w/ 10.5 4GB RAM
-Mackie Onyx 1640i for tracking and mixing on
-Monitors: Focal CMS-50's, Roland DM-20's, AKG k141's, boombox, logitech 2.1 computer system, Sony headphone pack, Vic Firth iso headphones
-Mics: JJ Audio Modded v67g, AT 4050, AT 4041 (2), sm57 (4), beta 52, 4 Lil Blondies (2 wooden, 2 metal), AKG perception 200, other random cheap mics I don't use.
-Outboard: RNC...that's it
-Plugs: Waves Studio Collection (API, SSL, V Series), AutoTune, Music Production toolkit, TL Space, Massey, way too many more to care about listing

So obviously, I lack hardware, and any other mic pres besides the Onyx pres. They are ok, sound quite nice really, but no mojo. I also want to invest in hardware comps. I like having an analog console so I can choose to mix either ITB and sum...or just throw it all out and use my hands on the board.

My eventual plan is to go to Pro Tools 9, with the SSL Alpha Link converters, a Toft ATB 16/24, and then lots of outboard comps/effects, pick up some more monitors (NS-10's maybe), and more mics.

I'm trying to decide now, where to start. I'm getting to a point where projects are coming in more regularly and I can slowly start investing more, but not all at once. My thoughts are to either start with:

A) A good 2 channel pre (Aurora GTQ2 maybe?) and a good 2 channel compressor (fatso, api2500, distressors, overstayer, etc.)
B) Just keep saving and get the Toft/SSL Converters with PT 9 and then start on the hardware.
C) Since I'm saving as I go, buy up more "low end" gear to have more options such as (gap pre73, dbx 160x, overstayer, ART VLA II, Comp54, etc.) I could get many more options, but it wouldn't be the high end stuff. Then as I do more and more projects, just treat myself to a high end piece here and there when funds come in.

Just looking for some FRIENDLY advice. What would your move be. As for budget, just don't get ridiculous please, this will continue through out my life I'm sure so budget will just slowly come and go. Couple grand to start maybe heh
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Guru

I'd be looking towards a 500 series lunchbox of some variety, and then directly to Classic Audio Products vp-26 mic pre's. World class at a beggars price - they are not something you will "trade in" when you have lots of other gear and $$$. You build them yourself, and pretty much anyone can do it. good luck.
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

My HW collection started with not to much expensive gear.

My idea for you would be a nice mic pre transformer balanced?
This can make a difference in tracking.

The GAP maybe?

It will save you some money and is not bad gear by any means.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search