The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sm7b = sm57 ? Huh? Dynamic Microphones
Old 19th May 2011
Gear Nut

Sm7b = sm57 ? Huh?

I had an engineer friend (actually 2) tell me that an sm7b is basically the same design as the 57 but with a fat pop blocker on it. I find this hard to believe. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks!

-dan
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Sure, they are wrong.
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmusicstudios View Post
I had an engineer friend (actually 2) tell me that an sm7b is basically the same design as the 57 but with a fat pop blocker on it. I find this hard to believe. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks!

-dan
No , they are not the same at all . Go mic a kick drum with a 57 and an SM7 and you'll hear two very different sounds .
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

He's almost right

Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steab View Post
He's almost right

Ha HA ha Ha HA!!!!
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmusicstudios View Post

Thanks!

-dan
$200 pop blocker...lol
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Addict

Bull****, and just because i yesterday tested the two mics between each other and damn the sm-57 sounds like ****.

PM me if you wont audio files for proff
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Selma

Also Selma
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratSvante View Post
sm-57 sounds like ****.

PM me if you wont audio files for proff
careful, all the 'skill' proponents will say you didn't place it properly .
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Addict

sorry, drunk texting, between the two mics, the sm-7 was lush and beautiful but the sm-57 sounded harsh and thin, therefore my impression the sm-57 sounded like **** in context.

I love the sm-57 in it's context but when it's for singing, I just don't get it....
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Two different mics for two different purposes. Neither is ****, neither is great. Both are better than the other for different uses.

SM57: Generally better on snares, guitar cabs, toms, "bits-n-bobs" sounds - ie, when all other mics fail, the 57 has a reputation of being able to capture a decent enough sound on any source - A fall back/work horse mic, if you will.

SM7b: Generally better on vocals..... I've hears some nice acoustic guitar recordings done with one also.

Though the 7b is widely regarded as only a vocal mic, this is no lean feat. Vocals on 99% of songs are the most important factor, so having the right mic for the most important job is more influential on your overall mix than say using a different tom mic than our 57.
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

The Beta 57 and 58, Sm7, SM58, and SM57 all use the same old Unidyne III design type cartridge and all have the same "voice".
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli View Post

Selma

Also Selma

Correction:
Pic 1: Salma.
Pic 2: Selma

well, I guess it´s about the same as sm7 - sm57........ only one letter (number) difference.
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, that's what I intended!!!
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroth View Post
Correction:
Pic 1: Salma.
Pic 2: Selma

well, I guess it´s about the same as sm7 - sm57........ only one letter (number) difference.
I used to date someone who looked exactly like both of them. It was great for the price.
Old 20th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Oliver View Post
The Beta 57 and 58, Sm7, SM58, and SM57 all use the same old Unidyne III design type cartridge and all have the same "voice".
Maybe, but the certainly don't sound the same - very dissimilar as anyone who has used sm7 and sm57 can tell you.
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
He's almost right

Ha! Thats pretty close..
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Maybe, but the certainly don't sound the same - very dissimilar as anyone who has used sm7 and sm57 can tell you.

They use the damn near the same capsule but the different windshields help shape the voicing of each. After you remove it you can hear that they sound about the same.
Old 20th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Oliver View Post
They use the damn near the same capsule but the different windshields help shape the voicing of each. After you remove it you can hear that they sound about the same.
Hmm..are you talking about the basket on the sm7 or just the foam shield? Because the foam is always off, and it still sounds nothing like a 57.

There's a large-ish gain difference between the two as well, so the electrics are clearly different...as are the filter options on the sm7.
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

I have both...very different sound to my ears.
L.
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Head

I did a test on vocals with a 57 and a sm7. The 57 is very harsh for vocals while the sm7 is smoother. The frequency responses may look the same, doesn't mean the mics sound the same. You can buy a cheap Chinese mic with a frequency that looks like a u87, doesn't mean it's going to sound like a u87.

To each there own, they both have they're uses.
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

It all about the phase ports, not the capsules

EDIT PS: Isnt this fun? for years and years the same recurring topics keep coming up,
the same myths being debunked or heightened. Its delicious! I love it, I do !!
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know what there is to discuss.Anyone who has both,as i do can clearly hear that they sound completely different,for whatever reason.
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
He's almost right

it's just a FREQUENCY RESPONSE guys

there are tons other parameters that matters
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidusername View Post

Do you imply that everything else except the freq response is radically different?
Old 20th May 2011
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidusername View Post

This frequency plot is fishy just because of the fact that even SM57 have audible differences, at least the two I have. Therefore I marked them.
I own a SM7 and a SM7B and these both sound different (in the flat setting) than my SM57s.
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Nut

SM7b = SM57? Let's Settle This...

...its been settled, ...i think
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Do you guys know that vintage SM57 (Unidyne models) is COMPLETELY different from current production? The difference between Sm7b and SM57 is very microscopic compare to the difference between new and old SM57. sigh...
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Addict

...pull the transformer out of the sm57 for a better comparison

the sm7, sm7a, sm7b are transformerless mics

the capsules are v. similar
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
I have both...very different sound to my ears.
L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
I don't know what there is to discuss.Anyone who has both,as i do can clearly hear that they sound completely different,for whatever reason.
Listen.
Then you'll know.
Simple, really.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search