The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to restore Korg M1 factory sounds?
Old 9th May 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 

How to restore Korg M1 factory sounds?

I was given this Korg M1, which is always fun to have around.
The battery was dead, and there are only 99 sounds left, and their settings must be wrong as they have particulary loud output volumes.

I've changed the battery and I'm now keen to restore it to factory settings.
I read some stuff on the net, but I need some plain basic explanation on how to do it step by step.

It should be loaded via Sys Ex (?) via Midi from a computer.
Anyone is clued up?
Old 10th May 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
How to restore Korg M1 factory sounds?

I used to have one of those 15 years ago. First board that impressed me with how realistic it sounded. I think you may be able to find some sysex patch librarians on the web which should have the factory patches in them. The samples are burned in ROM so all you need are the patch parameters.
Old 10th May 2011
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
I was given this Korg M1, which is always fun to have around.
The battery was dead, and there are only 99 sounds left, and their settings must be wrong as they have particulary loud output volumes.

I've changed the battery and I'm now keen to restore it to factory settings.
I read some stuff on the net, but I need some plain basic explanation on how to do it step by step.

It should be loaded via Sys Ex (?) via Midi from a computer.
Anyone is clued up?
The data is here - if you've not already got it. However, I'm not certain of the restore process - maybe email support.


A Lithium cell battery CR2032. Available from Boots, Homebase, camera shops etc. If you are unsure how to replace this please ring our support help line. Alternatively, email [email protected] and request the email with screen shots showing how to change it. The factory sounds will be lost when the battery is changed. The factory data can be obtained from the downloads section of the support pages. Again email [email protected] for a Midiox software screen shot showing how to send the sysex file to the M1.
If you are in the UK or Ireland please call 01908 857130 during the published opening hours for more assistance.


Korg UK Support
Old 10th May 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SochiTag View Post
The data is here - if you've not already got it. However, I'm not certain of the restore process - maybe email support.


A Lithium cell battery CR2032. Available from Boots, Homebase, camera shops etc. If you are unsure how to replace this please ring our support help line. Alternatively, email [email protected] and request the email with screen shots showing how to change it. The factory sounds will be lost when the battery is changed. The factory data can be obtained from the downloads section of the support pages. Again email [email protected] for a Midiox software screen shot showing how to send the sysex file to the M1.
If you are in the UK or Ireland please call 01908 857130 during the published opening hours for more assistance.


Korg UK Support
That's great, thank you I'll call this morning!
Old 10th May 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
takman's Avatar
 

i have an M1 that was sitting in storage for many years...

and i had to go thru the whole process of replacing the battery, and installing the sounds...

go here and DL the factory sounds...


Korg M1 Source

then download MIDI-OX

MIDIOX

then you will need a USB to MIDI cable ( you might be able to use a MIDI to MIDI cable to your soundcard, but i dont really know...i did it with a MIDI to USB cable)

you have to send the sounds via SYSEX thru MIDI-OX

its a bit tricky ( took me forever to make it work actually) because you have to adjust the buffers in MIDI-OX. the KORG is real picky about this, probably due to its age. Too low and it doesnt work, too high and the information gets corrupted, and the sounds are all whacky.

there is a lot of threads about re-installing the sounds back onto the M1 at MIDI-OX's forum, and also at the Korg users forum.

good luck.
Old 10th May 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Problem solved,

Thank you.
Was extremely straight forward, using sysex Librarian for Mac.
Old 10th May 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
i have an M1 that was sitting in storage for many years...

and i had to go thru the whole process of replacing the battery, and installing the sounds...

go here and DL the factory sounds...


Korg M1 Source

then download MIDI-OX

MIDIOX

then you will need a USB to MIDI cable ( you might be able to use a MIDI to MIDI cable to your soundcard, but i dont really know...i did it with a MIDI to USB cable)

you have to send the sounds via SYSEX thru MIDI-OX

its a bit tricky ( took me forever to make it work actually) because you have to adjust the buffers in MIDI-OX. the KORG is real picky about this, probably due to its age. Too low and it doesnt work, too high and the information gets corrupted, and the sounds are all whacky.

there is a lot of threads about re-installing the sounds back onto the M1 at MIDI-OX's forum, and also at the Korg users forum.

good luck.
Thanks for the link,
I downloaded the programs, but I have a question;

Can you have all these programs at the same time on the M1?
I loaded one library, and it overwrote the factory one, so can you have more than 99 sounds in the Program mode?

Thx
Old 16th March 2014
  #8
Here for the gear
 

exw to korg m1 xathikan oi hxoi logw mpataries pws mporw na valw toys ergostasiakoys hxoys eyxaristw
Old 24th January 2015
  #9
Deleted User
Guest
I was just double-checking my own files -- and I came across this Gearslutz thread. I don't want to tell you you're all wrong -- but I actually discovered this solution after putzing around for a few days -- these are instructions that don't involve downloading data -- or putting a file on to a 3.5 inch diskette. Here are two sets of instructions that worked for me:

Sweetwaters:
How to Initialize (reset), and preload on the Korg M1
Article #16168

Initialization: Hold Int, Card and Combi while turning it on.

Preload: Card Load (MPC00P)

ROM Check: Hold INT while turning it on.


----

e-how ...answers


How to Restore Korg M1 Memory
By Mark Rutkowski, eHow Contributor

How to Restore Korg M1 Memory thumbnail

How to Restore Korg M1 Memory

The Korg M1 keyboard workstation is a synthesizer that has both sounds on board, and the ability to record and edit them so that arrangements and songs can be made right on the instrument. While you can add, edit or save new sounds to the keyboard; doing so can fill up the computer's memory fast. Reset the workstation to its factory defaults using a quick shortcut. Doing so wipes out all data saved to the keyboard.

Read more : How to Restore Korg M1 Memory | eHow
Instructions

1.Connect the keyboard to a power source (also install new battery) but do not turn it on.

2. Press and hold the "INT," "CARD," and "COMBI" buttons, still without turning the keyboard on.

3. Turn the keyboard on while holding the three buttons. This is the keyboard's shortcut to reset itself to factory defaults.



Read more : How to Restore Korg M1 Memory | eHow
Old 19th May 2018
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Guys - I bought a Korg M1 from a boot sale got it home and would only play a piano and show a low battery/replace battery in screen - So I went forward to open it up and replace battery quite easy 17 ish screws on bottom and then unscrew board plus unplug 1 lead you will see the battery holder and slide out the battery, put new one in - that job done once the board put back and the bottom screwed back on you would think job done - NO - Now you find out that you have to load back all the factory setting - This I spent many many hours trying to do without success - Bought a cheap USB Midi interface from ebay - did not work and then bought a dearer one from Maplins that did not work - bought another one off ebay that should have worked with my laptop running Windows 10 again that did not work - After looking on various websites somebody said that the Roland UM ONE MK2 USB Midi Interface is the only one to use - Bought this and as soon as it arrived plug it in already loaded the Midi-Ox program and the factory sounds from Korg website and straight away loaded - Great after so many hours and even days spent on this was pleased to have it done so simple when you have the right tools
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
soundBringer / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
preesetmusic / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
1
intellijel / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
1
jeronimo / Music Computers
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump