The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post Rates on Website?
Old 9th May 2011
Post Rates on Website?

I just want 'yes' or 'no's:

Do you think it's better to post your studios rates on your website or just say "Call For Best Price"...??
Old 9th May 2011
Gear Nut

I had a lot to say about it but since you only want a 'yes-no' answer I tend to go with a NO approach. Simply because the competition will look at what you offering and unless its super low will underbid you
Old 9th May 2011
Lives for gear

i say no.

i want to know what i'm getting into before i quote a rate.
Old 9th May 2011
Lives for gear

I said NO on your first thread and I'll say it again.

If people have the budget then they have the budget. Posting your rates generates first impressions and you want them to get their first impression from your 'about' pages and your gear lists, not your prices page.

What's better, a $100,000 car or a $1,000 car?

See, you're guilty of it too.
Old 9th May 2011
Gear Guru

No. Who ever booked a session off a website?

No one.

Well, maybe someone, but I've had a website for over 10 years and never had a booking come from it.

Bookings come from relationships. If you know lots of musicians, can provide the goods, then you'll work. Putting a price on a website gets you nothing.

I wouldn't even say "call for best price". Right out of the gate, I know you're ready to give it away to me.

If you put ANYTHING, I'd say something like "rates available upon request". If they don't want to call and discuss it, you probably are wasting your time with them anyway.
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Your website just needs to accurately convey what you do in an entertaining way.

The goal of a website is for clients to be able to see what you have, to verify that you do exist, to get information (location, contact info, clients), to verify that you are professional, and in doing so become so impressed that they just have to give you a call.

Greg
Old 15th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
The goal of a website is for clients to be able to see what you have, to verify that you do exist, to get information (location, contact info, clients), to verify that you are professional, and in doing so become so impressed that they just have to give you a call.
This.
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

no

you shoudl tailor your rate to teh client, amoutn of work, amount of time, amount of space, yada yada , as well as how big a PITA they are
and how prosperous they are. eg lawyers get charged more than hs kids.
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theindiefort View Post
I just want 'yes' or 'no's:
Then you're asking the wrong people! You should be asking prospective clients.

We aren't in the same situation as you, in the same area, dealing with the same factors. Are the people likely to come to you at your level likely to have set aside a fair amount of money? Are they mostly young bands without much experience?

Here, a lot of people post rates. Who cares if the band has 7 members or 3? If it's a bigger band, it's still going to cost the same per hour/day/whatever, a bigger project doesn't mean I'll be working any harder in each hour.

A lot of clients here don't have a lot of money, there's twice as many studios as there are bands, and people aren't going to call each one - getting a rough idea of cost will help people figure out if you're at their level or not.

You can't please everyone, you have to pick a part of the market and aim for it. You're not going to get 5 bands in during the week cutting live demos and then have gaga call you up for a big session.

To some people, saying you cost $100 an hour is worth a lot more than saying you have an SSL G in the studio, or asking $20 p/hr says more about you than a rack of behringer gear. Point is, who's going to call, and why?

And to be perfectly honest, if you can't be bothered reading long complicated answers to complicated issues, you haven't got what it takes to run a business.
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear
Mixing rate yes, recording rate no, at least for me. That completely depends on what's needed.
Old 30th June 2011
lets put it this way.

does your favorite engineer and or favorite studio post rates?
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear
if you are converting a high percentage of web site visits into studio bookings, then i say yea, go for it, post your rates, it will seal the deal with those too lazy to inquire about pricing...

to be so fortunate.

most people i know recording people for a 'living' get their clients through hustle and skill, and then work on a sliding scale.
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Maniac

no

no
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post

No one.

Well, maybe someone, but I've had a website for over 10 years and never had a booking come from it.
Maybe you need a better site. The vast majority of (non-referral) business that walks in the door tells me that they chose us over the myriad other local studios (many of them nicer AND cheaper) because our website was better.

--And I know they don't mean better-looking, because it isn't really nice looking. However, it is chock full of information about who we are, what we do, how we do it, why we do it and information on what to expect, and how one can prepare for their session to get the most out of it. They can get a sense that we give a crap about what we do & take pride in our work.

Now, that kind of walk-in client (often novices, vanity records, demos, people who aren't cool enough to know someone with a studio) isn't necessarily my favorite kind of client, but hey, business is business. Beats workin' for a living. ;-)

And I actually had to look, but yes we do publish our rates on the site.

p.s. and, since they know the "card rate" from the site they feel special when we quote them with a small break on the hourly rate for booking a block/day/week.

Last edited by jruberto; 14th July 2011 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: p.s.
Old 14th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
Maybe you need a better site. The vast majority of (non-referral) business that walks in the door tells
Sorry, not to sound snooty or anything, but that is not the kind of clientele I work with. Good for you though. Glad the website thing is working for you. Studio's need every advantage.....
Old 15th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
Maybe you need a better site. The vast majority of (non-referral) business that walks in the door tells me that they chose us over the myriad other local studios (many of them nicer AND cheaper) because our website was better.

--And I know they don't mean better-looking, because it isn't really nice looking. However, it is chock full of information about who we are, what we do, how we do it, why we do it and information on what to expect, and how one can prepare for their session to get the most out of it. They can get a sense that we give a crap about what we do & take pride in our work.

Now, that kind of walk-in client (often novices, vanity records, demos, people who aren't cool enough to know someone with a studio) isn't necessarily my favorite kind of client, but hey, business is business. Beats workin' for a living. ;-)

And I actually had to look, but yes we do publish our rates on the site.

p.s. and, since they know the "card rate" from the site they feel special when we quote them with a small break on the hourly rate for booking a block/day/week.
I'm guessing you have a different sort of clientele in a different business area to Bill..I'm sure if you're selling your space as a studio to come work in, a decent website is essential. If you're selling yourself (who happens to work in a studio), then it's more who you know (And who knows your work).

Though I have a production room, I don't rent it independently of me. I barely have a website, and it needs a good update...but I'm not sure how worthwhile it is anyway.
Old 15th July 2011
Gear Guru

My website is kind of like my degree in music. No one has ever asked about it in 20 years..... heh heh

And IMO, neither are necessary to do a good job. Word of mouth, and experience are what sells.
Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear
Sure, every situation is different.

If you are looking to add clients, tap different markets that you may not currently be exposed to, or just generally get the word out, a site is pretty important. If you're established, well-networked, gold records on the wall, not so much.

Now, my consulting business where my business development strategy is "answer the phone when it rings and decide which 10% of gigs are worth my while", nope, no real need. I get to pick & choose my clients *despite* the state of my crap web site -- and it sounds like that's where you are at with your operations. congrats! it's a nice place to be.

No, not snooty, and that's not the client that I prefer to work with either, but if you gotta cover your overhead and there's a steady stream of that kind of work 'round these parts, well, you do what you gotta.

And of course a degree or a web site are not necessary to do a good job, but if you ain't got nobody to do your good work for... Something about a tree falling in a forest....
Old 15th July 2011
Gear Guru

Yeah, but there's something to be said for vetting the client in person or over the phone yourself, and being elusive on the site. It allows you to come down in price for those you feel need it, and not give away the farm for clients who you feel can afford it. Putting the price down in black and white robs you of that ability. At least that's my thought / philosophy on it. It's got nothing to do with gold records, wealthy clients, glitsy websites or megabuck studios.
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

YES.

You know what you're paying for and what a pro place is worth. Negotiating always seemed to me very unprofessional. I'm for "These are our rates. If you can't afford them, go somewhere else".

Miloco Recording Studios UK & Europe - Recording Mixing, Mastering - The Rates Page

(That said, it's well known that pretty much all pro studios end up doing some sort of deal quite often, specially on low months. But they have a reference point to start from)
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
YES.

You know what you're paying for and what a pro place is worth. Negotiating always seemed to me very unprofessional. I'm for "These are our rates. If you can't afford them, go somewhere else".

Miloco Recording Studios UK & Europe - Recording Mixing, Mastering - The Rates Page

(That said, it's well known that pretty much all pro studios end up doing some sort of deal quite often, specially on low months. But they have a reference point to start from)
As I always say: "Never sell yourself short". It's one thing to shave off a few bucks at the end if you want to round things off or because you truly enjoyed working with the artist, but one's rate is one's rate and you shouldn't be expected to work for any less.
Old 18th July 2011
Gear Nut

Great thread, thanks to everyone who has responded. As I'm about to launch a new website, this has been an extremely helpful thread to read.

Looks like I need to focus on content more and my prices less. Thanks! jummp
Old 18th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Negotiating always seemed to me very unprofessional.
I don't really think we're talking about "haggling" here - at least I'm not. There are very few studio's left on this planet who are only dealing with top line pro clients where they can lay out their day rate and forget about it. Most upper end studio's have got one foot foot in the pro record company clientele camp, and the other in the "artist that's footing the bill themselves" camp. If you give both sides equal pricing in public on your website, you're either loosing clients, or vastly underselling yourself. Neither scenario bids well for long term growth of your studio. That's just my opinion though....
Old 19th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I don't really think we're talking about "haggling" here - at least I'm not. There are very few studio's left on this planet who are only dealing with top line pro clients where they can lay out their day rate and forget about it. Most upper end studio's have got one foot foot in the pro record company clientele camp, and the other in the "artist that's footing the bill themselves" camp. If you give both sides equal pricing in public on your website, you're either loosing clients, or vastly underselling yourself. Neither scenario bids well for long term growth of your studio. That's just my opinion though....
I agree with you, I think it's fine to post at least one rate though so people get an idea of cost. Now, there's nobody saying that you don't do things and charge differently when a label is involved (ya know, the whole "Oh? That's all?" kinda thing)...but I think it's fine for the general public to have some idea of pricing structure rather than batting around blindly at a pinata heh.
Old 19th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralPStudios View Post
but I think it's fine for the general public to have some idea of pricing structure rather than batting around blindly at a pinata heh.
I don't know. I guess I'm an oddball. I don't WANT the general public to know what I do or how much I cost. If they can't make a freaking phone call, honestly, I don't really want to work with them. That's just me though.....
Old 19th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I don't know. I guess I'm an oddball. I don't WANT the general public to know what I do or how much I cost. If they can't make a freaking phone call, honestly, I don't really want to work with them. That's just me though.....
I'm on both sides of the fence actually. Everyone runs their business differently and has different views on how things should be done, we're all entitled to that. I think it's fine to have a public rate for a particular service (I call this an "eye opener") and do the bigger deals face to face/over the phone as any big deal should be.

When I say general public I should be more specific and stay in niche talk and really say "everyday musicians" like HS/college folks/vanity stuff.

Seeing at least one thing will help rule out the folks you don't want from calling and contacting you, leaving you with some good leeway room with calls so you're not tied up and can focus more on working, at least in my experience.

lmao, how you feel about phone calls is how I feel about people not leaving a voicemail. I know you're not wasting my time if you leave a message, if you don't, well you should probably go snag one of the crappy 500-1k recording/mixing/mastering package deals around town. lol
Old 19th July 2011
Gear Guru

I hear ya!

I guess I'm one of those artistic guys. I'd rather hang it up and make music for FUN than try to undercut the next guy so I could have a gig. No future in that. If you (not saying YOU, I mean you, me the next guy) can't figure out a better way, we're only prolonging the inevitable. Glad I've found my niche. Whatever.....I'm just happy to be makin' music today.
Old 19th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I hear ya!

I guess I'm one of those artistic guys. I'd rather hang it up and make music for FUN than try to undercut the next guy so I could have a gig. No future in that. If you (not saying YOU, I mean you, me the next guy) can't figure out a better way, we're only prolonging the inevitable. Glad I've found my niche. Whatever.....I'm just happy to be makin' music today.
LOL. I get myself in trouble with the word "you" too much too and don't stop to mention it's not a direct attack on someone and it's meant as a collective. No worries.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

No one.
This is incorrect.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz View Post
This is incorrect.
x457534.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search