The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
gear repair issue
Old 7th May 2011
Lives for gear

gear repair issue

So I'm having a problem with a Randall RM4 guitar preamp - master volume cuts out/fizzles out. I tap the unit and sometimes it happens as well. I'll fiddle with a module volume control, and after cranking it a couple of times, the RM4 master volume will kick back in. Seems to happen after the unit warms up.

So I took it to a shop (randall authorized repair center), and the tech was unable to repeat the problem. Here is what he did:

RE-FLOWED SOLDER CONTACTS ON MODULE ASSY
CLEANED ALL POTENTIOMETERS
1.00 ELECTRONIC REPAIR BENCH RATE PER HOUR 96.00 96.00
ALL FUNCTIONS TEST OKAY
Shipping and Handling 26.07
NOTE: CHECK MASTER VOLUME - AFTER 1/2 HOUR OR SO SOUND CUTS OUT
QTY Description Price Tax Amount
$96.00

So I paid $96 for nothing, really. I'm not sure why he couldn't find the problem.

Anyways, what can I do here? Go back to him and make him figure it out? Do a chargeback on my CC? He's not a bad guy, but at the same time I need to have a problem fixed and I don't feel I should have to pay more.

Need a little guidance if anyone has faced this situation before.

thanks
Old 7th May 2011
The "NOTE: CHECK MASTER VOLUME - AFTER 1/2 HOUR OR SO SOUND CUTS OUT" - that's your note not his?

If he's cleaned stuff and nothing more and the problem is still there, he shouldn't be charging you. Maybe he didn't actually keep using it long enough for the problem to come about...
Old 7th May 2011
Here for the gear
As a technician I pride myself in doing the job for which I'm paid. Having said that, I need to know exactly what the problem is and be able to see it occur.
I'd contact the guy again and let him know the problem is not fixed. Make sure he knows what it is and make sure it can be reproduced in his presence.

I recently had a small Line 6 amp over for repair. The owner said that the amp didn't power on. I didn't attempt to power up the unit before pulling the head out of the cabinet. I probed on a few things, checked the power transformer, pulled the connectors from the power switch and checked it. I couldn't find any obvious problems and so I connected the speaker and found the amp to be working just fine. I reassembled the amp and it continued to work. I had the guy come pick it up and we both played through it while it was still here so that we both knew the amp was working great when it left here.
BTW, since I spent only a few minutes trying to diagnose a problem and did nothing in the way of repairs there was no charge.
Old 7th May 2011
Lives for gear
Friend had and old Marshal combol that did this. When you smack it on top it would come on then cut out.

Pulled the Screws out on top and slid the chassis out. Disconnected the power ground to chassis wire. Scuffed up the chassis with some emory cloth where the connection screws to chassis. Reattached ground wire and reassembled.

Problem gone. Was a little corrosion /oxidation on ground connection.

Via Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 7th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
The "NOTE: CHECK MASTER VOLUME - AFTER 1/2 HOUR OR SO SOUND CUTS OUT" - that's your note not his?

If he's cleaned stuff and nothing more and the problem is still there, he shouldn't be charging you. Maybe he didn't actually keep using it long enough for the problem to come about...
the note above is what I told him was the problem, and he put that on the invoice.
Old 2nd March 2013
Here for the gear

randall rm4 problem

I know this is an old post, but, I am having the exact same problem with my randall rm4 preamp. until I can get it fixed I am forced to use a digitech rp70 as a preamp.... after the randall that is cruel and unusal punishment. Please tell me what the problem was with your rm4 preamp so my suffering can end.

"So I'm having a problem with a Randall RM4 guitar preamp - master volume cuts out/fizzles out. I tap the unit and sometimes it happens as well. I'll fiddle with a module volume control, and after cranking it a couple of times, the RM4 master volume will kick back in. Seems to happen after the unit warms up."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search