The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody using DAW as a tape machine? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Anybody using DAW as a tape machine?

Is anyone mixing modern music of all genres without the use of plugins? If so, what are you using in place of them?
Old 4th May 2011
I use plug ins on every production I've done while in a DAW, but very little (10% or less of a total production). Mainly they are used for 'one off' effects, like someone wants an extra delay or reverb on the tail of a phrase, or a megaphone effect on a voice for a short part, etc. Outboard comps and EQs (along with some board EQ) for the fundamental processing here.
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
I use plug ins on every production I've done while in a DAW, but very little (10% or less of a total production). Mainly they are used for 'one off' effects, like someone wants an extra delay or reverb on the tail of a phrase, or a megaphone effect on a voice for a short part, etc. Outboard comps and EQs (along with some board EQ) for the fundamental processing here.
Thank you for the reply....Do you have a typical chain for kick or snare that you find yourself going back to more than others?
Old 4th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crying1986 View Post
Thank you for the reply....Do you have a typical chain for kick or snare that you find yourself going back to more than others?
Usually Distressors or a FET type comp (Purple MC76, vintage 1176s)
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Usually Distressors or a FET type comp (Purple MC76, vintage 1176s)

The Distressor *is* a FET comp.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 4th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
The Distressor *is* a FET comp.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Oh, I always thought it was a VCA all these years...my bad...

From Sound on Sound Article:

"One such compressor is the USA-designed Distressor, a VCA soft-knee compressor with a few unusual twists, including tube and tape distortion emulation. The signal path is pure analogue, but much of the control circuitry is digital."

From the book: Dance music manual: tools, toys and techniques By Rick Snoman

"The most widely celebrated VCA compressor is the Empirical Labs Stereo Distressor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
My guess [and I do mean guess] is that [the Distressor is] a digitally controlled VCA... but again, that's just a guess.
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Always use our outboard gear -- We have TC & Lexi's connected digitally to our DAW and PREs via a A/D ,,,,, our two track mixdown is to a Masterlink via a DEQ 2496.....
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Addict

TLA
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Nut

No.
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

We favor MIDI samples for kicks ...
Old 4th May 2011
I use my Daw pretty much as a tape deck, 48 channels of I/O out to the console. the only plug ins I use are melodyne
and some VI's. And once I have the programming done I print it to daw. I mix on an analog console with moving fader automation. All outboard compressors, and fx. Then I also have a 2" 24 track tape deck, sometimes I lock the whole shebang together
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

I hardly ever use plug ins or just PT ITB / except under total duress. I have a 2 inch analog machine (the main multitrack here) and can lock the PT (HD2 Accel) to the 2 inch if needed . . I have a 56 channel console (112 on mix). Tape machine and PT are both normal-ed to the bay / console. I am totally underwhelmed with plugs and ITB. I have the PT set up 24 in / out but obviously can change the set up accordingly . . . . but hardly ever do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search