The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SM81 : new or old?
Old 3rd May 2011
SM81 : new or old?

Hello!

I just want to get some advices on to get some old SM81's (eBay) or new (dealer)? Does Shure modified some parts over the years? Is there any sonic difference? Cheaper transfo, etc. ?

Any info welcomed!
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear
I have two new ones and one old. They all sound very similar. Body shell on the new ones is lighter and has a higher pitched ping when tapped but it doesn't seem to affect the tone of the mic at all.
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Love this mic.

Haven't heard any difference in the old or newer models. The new ones do have a different shell, as mbrebes pointed out, but I don't think that changes anything.

I'm also watching ebay for a deal on a sm81; hope I don't end up bidding against you...
...hardest thing is to find a reputable seller with 100% feedback. I've had too many mics arrive that smell, or have issues.
Keep your eye on the GS classifieds, too.
Old 4th May 2011
Thanks to both of you for your reply!!

I will probably get a few new ones then, no fighting on eBay!

More comments welcomed!!
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Wonder (work in progess) by Ron Vogel | OurStage

On the classical guitar (about 2:00 in)...sm81 on the neck, AT4050 over the shoulder; into a Mackie onyx pre

Keep in mind this was an $80 chinese no-name POS...the finish had runs in it...lol!

I had to look down when I had the headphones on to make sure it was the same guitar that sounded so good.

I'm itching to get my own SM81 soon too...this was a rental
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I'm planning to get a pair for a chamber orchestra recording next month. Any new developments since 2011? Are the current ones any different from those of previous years?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search