The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer ADA8000 Noise/Messages from another world...
Old 2nd May 2011
Behringer ADA8000 Noise/Messages from another world...

I was going through some of my gear this evening, comparing the noise levels from the different units and I ran into something unusual...

My methods are probably flawed, and I'm sure someone can direct me in a more "correct" method of measurement - but what I heard out of the ADA8000 was hilarious! I'm using the ADA8000 for conversion --> ADAT into my Profire 2626 and was monitoring all this by going s/pdif to my TC Electronic BMC-2. Nothing was plugged into the line input jack of the ADA. I know that the line level signal going into the Behringer is going through its mic pres, so I decided to see how noisy they were. So, my method was basically to turn up the gain on the ADA to 100% and listen. The attached file is a noise-reduced file of what I heard.... MUSIC!

I guess this thing is picking up radio frequencies?? Ugh... What is an acceptable noise floor? In Sonar, I looked at my peak meters for each of the channels, with the gain all the way down, and found that for the ADA the worst channel was at -83.1 db and the best was at ****.4 db. The profire's internal preamps were at -99.0 db, pretty consistent all the way across. With the gain all the way up, the profire was only around -98.1 db.

Anyway, the Behringer (aka radio antenna) clip is attached for lolz.
Attached Files

Behringer Noise Reduced.mp3 (793.5 KB, 1255 views)

Old 2nd May 2011
Gax
Lives for gear

If it really was sound from another world most likely you would hear "Stairway to heaven'" heh

on the real tho, it does kinda sounds eerie. lol
Old 2nd May 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

Did you check your cables?
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

This is why they are the most musical converters out there
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like Wagner.

Switch it off quick before the Second Viennese school comes on air!
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

OMG, you should sample this and make a sample library of "messages from another world"
Anyway, in my old studio, I could hear Airplanes radio communications! I changed the power chords, cables and the power socket...you can try this. Or a UPS may help too.

Once I saw a studio TOTALLY covered in kitchen aluminium foils. The guy said he could listened to the radio transmission from a near factory...
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Addict

Hey, 200 bucks AND it comes with a free radio!
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Addict

get rid of it. Behringer simpoly sucks.
Old 2nd May 2011
For cables, I'm using good quality stuff - but I will check anyway. For Adat, I'm using very good quality Monster cable. For the s/pdif I'm using another Monster cable. Those were the only cables attached to the units at the time, besides power and my headphones!

What do you guys think of the noise levels measured? Do they seem reasonably accurate? Sounds pretty average to me - I was expecting around -95 to -100... And I guess if you want to poke holes in the "ADA8000 is awesome" argument, it did actually perform worse than the profire by like 10-15 dB! Ha...

Quote:
OMG, you should sample this and make a sample library of "messages from another world"
Haha, if I could get the noise level reduced enough... I spent like 10 min messing with noise reducing this to get it as good (crappy) as it is lol!
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statzern View Post
I spent like 10 min messing with noise reducing this to get it as good (crappy) as it is lol!
I see a sideline business doing post-production for Ghost Hunters in your future.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Maniac

Sounds like you could seriously benefit from an exorcism on that bad-boy, especially if your using it for your A/D.

I have an email from Black Lion Audio with details about their ADA8k mod, from back when I considered getting one and sending it to them. If you want, I'd be more than willing to share it with you.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

Maybe try a ground lift? Once worked with my Fender amp, which had a similar problem while at a gig.
Old 2nd May 2011
Hm, would not mind looking into the BLA mods... As long as it doesn't cost a million bucks. I mean, otherwise I should just go get a lynx or Alphalink and be done with it. IMO, conversion should be a set and forget it exists type of piece of gear...
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Head

RF in the Behringer AND in your environment Doesn't sound too good.
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinAudio View Post
Sounds like you could seriously benefit from an exorcism on that bad-boy, especially if your using it for your A/D.

I have an email from Black Lion Audio with details about their ADA8k mod, from back when I considered getting one and sending it to them. If you want, I'd be more than willing to share it with you.
Hey I'm interested penguin , what does it cost ?
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Maniac

Here's the email...

"The Standard Behringer ADA8000 modification is an analog stage modification. We are addressing the haziness these units are known for by replacing the stock op-amps with much faster, high grade op-amps. This will result in a sound that is much more open, detailed and textured, with better micro-dynamics. Overall, the modification has the effect of taking a blanket off of the speakers. The modification costs $255 plus return shipping.

With the Premium ADA8000 Mod, we upgrade the analog stage I/O much like the standard mod. We also perform converter decoupling along with power filtering and noise reduction on the analog and digital rails. This Premium Modification provides a much richer sound with a wide clean soundstage and dramatically improved frequency response. This mod costs $450 plus return shipping."
Old 2nd May 2011
Hm... I don't know. I will keep it in mind, but it seems I have a ways to go before I can be worried about "micro-dynamics..."

Avoiding the hype and just getting something that works was my first motivation for going with the ADA8000. I was really impressed by the Lynx/ADA8000 trial here on the forum and decided that the difference - at least for my applications (loud rock/blues/metal/etc... not classical - as my converters would have you believe) would be negligible compared to other pieces of gear in my signal chain.

I figure - the amount of difference in the audio between one tick mark on my compressor on the snare in a mix of an entire band makes more sonic difference than the difference between converter A and converter B.

So, miniscule inaccuracies that are so small only the most trained ears can detect - I can tolerate. Noise, fizz and hum I cannot.

I have some more testing to do, so I will keep everyone posted.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

do you know what frequency it was picking up?
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinAudio View Post
Here's the email...

"The Standard Behringer ADA8000 modification is an analog stage modification. We are addressing the haziness these units are known for by replacing the stock op-amps with much faster, high grade op-amps. This will result in a sound that is much more open, detailed and textured, with better micro-dynamics. Overall, the modification has the effect of taking a blanket off of the speakers. The modification costs $255 plus return shipping.

With the Premium ADA8000 Mod, we upgrade the analog stage I/O much like the standard mod. We also perform converter decoupling along with power filtering and noise reduction on the analog and digital rails. This Premium Modification provides a much richer sound with a wide clean soundstage and dramatically improved frequency response. This mod costs $450 plus return shipping."
Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andl View Post
do you know what frequency it was picking up?
Haha, no. Have no idea. I can't think of how to measure it either. Maybe if I had some sort of FFT analyzer I could find what the frequency, then scan the radio stations for the music lol!
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
This is why they are the most musical converters out there
You cannot possibly comprehend how much that made me laugh heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search