The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
keyboard amp ideas?
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Addict

keyboard amp ideas?

I dont know if its a good idea to run keys through a twin reverb because Im afraid the low octave keys may blow the amp (i do record at low levels never pass 2 on the volume). Im considering buying another twin reverb and using it as a head for a bass cab (love the twin's tone) and then runing an amp crossover and micing both amps. anybody have any better or easier suggestions?

also if you think its fine to run keyboards through guitar amps let me know because I've heard otherwise. this is all for recording not performing so the levels are rather low to begin with.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Maniac

i don't think you are in any danger of blowing the amp...
where you may have a problem is with blowing the speakers.
guitar speakers are not meant to push out those low frequencies.

if you have a bass cab, you can disconnect the internal speakers in the twin and plug the twin into the bass cab when you want to record keys. just make sure the ohm rating matches.

the only other issue is the headroom of the twin being enough.
it probably is if you are setting the amp fairly low and not turning up the keyboards too high.
Old 2nd May 2011
The other downside is guitar speakers dont reproduce much above 5k. So depending on the keyboard, it could be muffled sounding. Thats why keyboard amps are usually 2-way full range.
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

I have used a Twin for keyboards when in a pinch - and it sounded great! Best...H
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

the other big problem is that the output of a guitar is tiny compared to the output of a keyboard which is going to dirty up your signal. I doubt youll blow anything up but its definitely going to sound dirty. if this is the sound youre going for, great. if youre trying to stay clean, consider something like a qsc k10
Old 2nd May 2011
Here for the gear

Depends on the sounds. Rhodes and wurly through a twin reverb is bomb diggity.

Posted via iPhone
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Maniac
Ideally a KB player would have 2 amps. Something like a 2-way powered speakers for pianos, stings, orchestral stuff. Here you want a clean full frequency range hi-fi type sound. For rhodes, wurli type stuff you'd have a tube amp and a twin would be great for these. In fact they used to use a twin at the Rhodes factory to tune and voice them. I wouldn't worry about hurting it but as an option you could replace the stock speakers.
JP
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Addict

I think I might go with a 2 way loud speaker for keys but I'm afraid of losing warm tones. I love fender tube amps. can you run an amp head through a loud speaker?
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Use the second input (whichever channel you use) and turn the keyboards down a bit to avoid distortion. A Twin will have plenty of volume on tap. Best...H
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by logichead View Post
Use the second input (whichever channel you use) and turn the keyboards down a bit to avoid distortion. A Twin will have plenty of volume on tap. Best...H
Are you saying a twin by itself can handle a keyboard?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search