The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Noob - mic level too low to hear it while live monitoring
Old 1st May 2011
Here for the gear

Noob - mic level too low to hear it while live monitoring

I'm just starting with all the recording stuff and got a MOTU audio express.
Now here's my problem:
When I adjust the mic level to make sure there is no clipping, I can't hear the mic through the phones anymore because the level is so low. So I can't live monitor.

What do I do?
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Turn everything else down and turn the headphone level up. If that doesnt work then there is something wrong.
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Maniac

how close is the source sound?.... after that the previous post should be noticed

Jim
Old 2nd May 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for ur responses.

The headphones are all the way up, and all other sources are off, only the mic is on.
The guitar or vocals are pretty close, about 5 inches.

Btw I forgot to mention that I'm talking about hardware monitoring. If I go through my DAW the level is fine and I can hear the mic loud enough.
The problem is I can see from the meter on the MOTU that the signal is being clipped, so I turn down the level all the way... :(

Dunno what to do :S
Old 2nd May 2011
Ah!

It sounds like the MOTU DSP CueMix mixer level for the CueMix channel for your input needs adjustment.

Run the DSP CueMix app (the latest update I did to the drivers calls it CueMix FX in the system menus) and check your levels. (If you haven't used it in a while, it might take some figuring out. I usually use my analog mixer for my cue mix so I don't play with the CueMix mixer much and always seem to forget some quirk or other if it's been a few months.) The app sets the hardware levels -- and those settings stay in the unit's onboard memory, so you don't have to run the mixer app unless you want to change the CueMix cue mix. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.)
Old 2nd May 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Ah!

It sounds like the MOTU DSP CueMix mixer level for the CueMix channel for your input needs adjustment.

Run the DSP CueMix app (the latest update I did to the drivers calls it CueMix FX in the system menus) and check your levels. (If you haven't used it in a while, it might take some figuring out. I usually use my analog mixer for my cue mix so I don't play with the CueMix mixer much and always seem to forget some quirk or other if it's been a few months.) The app sets the hardware levels -- and those settings stay in the unit's onboard memory, so you don't have to run the mixer app unless you want to change the CueMix cue mix. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.)
From my understanding CueMix just mirrors a front panel operation so it's exatly as if I'm using the Audio Express' knobs. But I did what you suggested and the levels stay the same... so strange!
Still can't figure it out... :S
Old 2nd May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_musician View Post
From my understanding CueMix just mirrors a front panel operation so it's exatly as if I'm using the Audio Express' knobs. But I did what you suggested and the levels stay the same... so strange!
Still can't figure it out... :S
Ah... yeah, you probably can access most of the CueMix functions from the front panel, now that I think about it. I guess I just find it more straightforward to use the CueMix since the front panel controls of my 828mkII are so 'overloaded' (multi-function).

I'm sorry that didn't turn out to be it. If I think of something I'll bang back in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search